Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

Tinnitus getting worse. Started 3~4 years ago. I guess I got

Tinnitus getting worse. Started 3~4 years ago. I guess I got used to the high pitch sound now but the pressure building (like sonic boom from one year to another) is not only uncomfortable but also plain ugly feeling. One ENT doc said it was caused by meniere's but another said migraine - but both weren't sure. Tried diuretics but instead of treating the symptoms, I had some nasty side effects. I am currently taking lyrica and klonopin (which did help a bit initially but now it does nothing). I am lost and don't know what to do. I heard about Meniett therapy. Does that work? Should I consult with another ENT?

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details. I am an ENT doctor myself.

Have you got a pure tone audiometry done?

Anyother investigation like electrocochleography done?

Do you have spinning sensation (vertigo) & hearing loss ?

Which treatment has been done so far?

Please give me details and i will definitely give you a practical answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You mean hearing test? If so, yes and came back normal. I have no idea on electrocochleography. Dizziness yes but vertigo no. Hearing loss I don't think so although I do feel like it is a bit off these days. Like I mentinine, I tried diuretics (triamterene) + potassium supp. Also tried referred by UCI doc - the creator himself - but didn't work.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. Have they got an MRI done so far? Do you have tinnitus in one ear or both? Do you feel that you have some difficulty in understanding speech? Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I got several MRIs of the head (including exclusively in the ear area) and the neck and all came back normal. Only left but recently spreading to right. No, i understand fine

Thanks a lot for your input. I will try to remain simple and practical in my answer because I don't want you to get confused. This cannot be menieres disease for sure because three symptoms have to be there for its diagnosis, these include;
1. Episodic vertigo
2. Hearing loss (one sided)
3. Tinnitus (one sided).
So I am sure that you don't have menieres. So meniete device or diuretics, nothing will help you.
Coming to migraine, if you have headache associated with this ringing then yes it can be migraine but if you just have ringing then no chance for it to be migraine. In my opinion this can be tinnitus without any cause. This can happen without any cause so I personally suggest that you should move on with the treatment. In such cases like yours, Tab betahistine can help, moreover herbal products like gingobiloba can be helpful. We try to use hearing aids in some patients, this is not for hearing loss actually, this is to mask the tinnitus. So you have few options and you can discuss this with your doctor but for sure I can give my opinion that menieres disease with your symptoms is out of question. Yes you should consult another ENT and audiologist both. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.