Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have a tingling sensation in my little finger and ring finger

I have a tingling sensation in my little finger and ring finger on my right hand. It is worse if I rest my arm on my elbow. A bit like having hit my 'funny bone'. It has been going on for about 3 weeks on and off. I carry a heavy bag over my right shoulder when walking and wondered if that was causing it. I am of a normal weight and exercise regularly with no obvious health problems other than this.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

yes, carrying a heavy bag over your right shoulder can pinch the ulner nerve which can cause tingling and numbness of the 4th and 5th fingers on the hand. the ulner nerve is the funny bone nerve which travels around the elbow. this is why it is worse when you rest on your elbow.

you should see a neurologist and get a scan of your shoulder and arm and brachial plexus to see if there is a mechanical pinching of the nerve in the shoulder or if there is a ulner nerve entrapment syndrome going on which needs to be fixed with a ulner nerve release procedure.

do you have a doctor you can see or a neurologist you can see?
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I don't hace a doctor at the moment as I recently moved to work in Mexico. However, given that I work for a Health Insurance company, getting one is no problem.
Regards
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I hope you can see a doctor soon for this condition.

I hope my response helped

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com