Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have a pain in my lower right back which has been diagnosed

Customer Question

I have a pain in my lower right back which has been diagnosed by a couple of doctors as a pinched nerve. The pain is not affected by exertion or other activities. I have washed my car with no ill effects. I have ridden a motorcycle 340 miles in one day with no ill effects. If the pain is related to a spinal disc pressing on a nerve, shouldn't exertion and other things make it worse?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

I agree with your logic. I would expect worse symptoms due to certain positions such as sitting in a crouch to ride motorcycle and also certain activities... Have you had MRI showing degenerative disk disease or flattened or ruptured disc?? Has this study demonstrated apparent nerve impingement?? A condition of a radiculopathy(= pinched nerve) would usually benefit with certain pain regimens to include either Lyrica, Cymbalta or Neurontin( one of those three operates on the central nervous system to help reduce the perception if pain) the anti-inflammatory MEDS are usually helpful to an extent.... The narcotics are yet another option for pain co control that may be used as part of the combination ( Ultram is a mild version which is a partial opioid receptor agonist-- it is less problematic than other narcotic MEDS and is helpful as a moderate pain reliever)

Physical therapy may help in some situations more than others. Certain radiculopathy conditions may need surgery to alleviate symptoms by alleviating compression on the affected nerve root. ( about 90% of cases with a ruptured disc will heal and stabilize with time and not require surgery....)

I hope that this information helps. Let me know if you have further information, questions or concerns. I will be happy to get back with you! If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated. Thank you and best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

if you have back pain but no radiating pain to your legs or way from your back and if you are able to do ride a motorcycle and wash a car without ill effects, you might not have a pinched nerve in your back

the pain could simply be from arthritis type bain in the joints of hte back, or degenerative joint disease without any nerve impingement (what is called radiculopathy or neuropathy). an MRI scan of the spine would be the best way to see if there is any nerve impingment at all, but from your description of your pain and your activity level, there may not be.

but you could have degenerative joint disease of your spine, or inflammation of the disk between the vertebral bodies or even arthritis of the spine to cause some back pain. or you could even have muscle strain in your back causing your pain and no problems of the bones.

have you had an MRI scan of your spine before with contrast?