Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hi. I had a bad cough and discharge about three weeks ago.

Hi.
I had a bad cough and discharge about three weeks ago. i contacted you and took your advice on getting checked fttr strep. It was negative. In the last couple of days I felt a lumpo o the left side of my throat. It got so bad yesterday that I had to go to hospital. Could'nt swallow,chw or put my tongue out withou a lot of pain. The doctor checkd me for strep again and it was negative . gave me a prescription for Augmentin & .05 Nasal Decongestant.
Welcome here and thank you for your question.
I am Dr.Robert & will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-

How many dosage of antibiotic-Augmentin have you taken?
Do you have congestion in nose?
Any other known medical illness?

I am waiting for your reply.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took about 12 augmentin three week ago when I had severe congestionand phelgm. I just started it back yesterday, i have only taken two since then. I have 18 left. I have know other known illness.I wanted to add that I get a itching in my throat and between my inner ear a few times a year. It is so bad that i will sometimes wake up making a grumbling sound with my throat and trying to scratch my throat at the same time. It happens a lot of times after I sneeze also. I have had it for years and always figured it was some type of allergy. I have learned to live with that but I have never had pain like right now in my front sinus. Thanks

Dear XXXXXph,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

The symptoms you are having now are because of a condition called sinusitis.The sinuses become congested and can become infected, a condition called sinusitis.It usually occurs after a cold due to bacteria and viruses infecting the lining of the sinuses.

The severe pain in front left sinus can be because of sinsuitis.And yes,the itching in your throat & between the inner ear is most probably due to allergy/seasonal allergy or due to infection.

Following will help you greatly:

-Take Non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs(NSAID's) like tab.Ibuprofen 400mg for pain relief.

--Neti pot will help you greatly .It is done for nasal irrigation & to clear away crusting in the nasal passages.

-Keeping a humidifier running in your room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.

-Antihistamine medication (allergy medication)like tab.Benadryl.

All these medications are available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

As you have already started taking antibiotic-Augmentin, your infection will get cured in next 24-36 hours & you will great comfort.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you for your repeat business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have'nt used the netti pot. I tried tilting my head and using my saline nasal spray in a stream but it never came out the other nostril, but i could feel it going down my throat. Am i doing somthing wrong or is the neti pot a better option. Thanks

Dear XXXXXph,
Thank you for asking follow up question.

Actually neti pot is much better way as it also contains saline water.Research has found that the Neti pot is generally safe

There is proper way to use neti pot. Neti pots usually come with an insert that explains how to use them. Click here to know how to use neti pots:

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus-pain-pressure-11/neti-pots?page=2

These neti pots help greatly to get relief from the sinus pain & sinus pressure.

Hope this helped.

Thank you for your repeat business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Was the pain in my throat yesterday from my lymph node being swallen and is that common for it to hurt so much that it makes it difficult to swallow. I was very worried about that, but it seems to be a lot better today.

Dear XXXXXph,

Yes, enlarged & swollen lymph node is a common complication of infection.Lymph node infection is called Lymphadenitis.It is a common complication of certain bacterial infections.

The pain in throat you had can be due to combined effect of sore throat/infection & swollen lymph nodes.

It will subside by its own as the infection will get cured ans as the antibiotic will show its result & hence it has already get subsided to a certain extend.

Thank you for your repeat business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert