Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.

found small bump/lump in my right inner thigh. only small pain

found small bump/lump in my right inner thigh. only small pain when i touch it but nothing otherwise. what can be?

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Since when have you had this lump?

Where exactly is the lump - at the upper part where the thigh meets the groin?

How large is it?

Have you had unprotected sex in the last month?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks Doctor for quick answer.

i have it since friday. It is located half way between the groin and the knee. i would say sice is like a pea.

I had sex only with my wife in the last month

Thank you for the additional information.

What you have is probably an enlarged sebaceous gland with secondary bacteria infection. Sebaceous glands release sebum which help to keep the skin supple. Sometimes the duct of the gland can get blocked and the secretions collect inside leading to the formation of a lump. It is usually not painful. But occasionally this lump can get infected by bacteria from the skin causing inflammaiton and pain.

Please apply a warm pack over the lump for 10 minutes twice a day - this can help opne up the duct and drain the gland. If it is not very painful, then it is probably not very infected and the infection will probably clear up spontaneously. Taking Ibuprofen twice a days for 1 -2 days will help.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again,

Just to clarified, the bump/lump it is almost not noticeable unless you touch it. Only small clear read area can be seen. Does this fit with your judgement?

I just want to be more clear since i have been browsing around (I knwo it is not the best thing to do, but oyu know..) and so many "terrible" things come like tumors, cancers...and all. Should i be worried?

thanks again Doctor

Yes, this fits in exactly with a sebaceous cyst. A sebaceous gland is situated in the inner layers of the skin and , if small, may not be very apparent. The clear area is the collected sebum.

If the lump is more felt than seen, then you could also have an infected hair follicle - the collected pus in the follicle can cause the clear area.

This is definitely not a cancer or tumor or anything serious.