Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

Hi, ive had tingling in the groin area, it feels internal..

Customer Question

ive had tingling in the groin area, it feels internal.. ruled out thrush.. had this 3 times but its always faded.. this time its remained for 5 weeks and its like torture.. i cant stop thinking about it, nothing seems to distract me from it. I thought if it was in my head id be able to distract from it so that points to it being real?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

I am sorry you are having these symptoms

the tingling could be from nerve damage or a pinched nerve

it could be from narrowing of blood vessels in the femoral area. an ultrasound of the area can tell if you are having any narrowing of blood vessels causing a thrill or vibration from blood flow through a narrowed blood vessel.

do you have a doctor you can see to order some tests and ultrasound of the area?

do you have a history of diabetes or nerve damage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi dr david,

what could cause a pinched nerve?

no diabetes or history of nerve damage. My periods are irractic also could that play a part? My Gp said to wait a bit then go back if it doesn't settle... but its literally like torture as the tingling doesn't stop so i am going to have to go back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr david,

what could cause a pinched nerve?

Yes i need to go back to my GP they thought it might be my meds but I've been on them so long and come off them id of noticed the symptoms if they where this bad before.. they said to go back if it persisted... its like torture i literally cant stop thinking about it and my mental health doesnt help.. my periods gone missing could hormones and that play any part?

no history of diabetes or nerve damage

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
arthritis or degenerative joint disease or wear and tear of the bones of the spine in the lumbar sacral spine could pinch nerves and cause numbness and tingling of the groin area.

most likely irratic periods will not cause tingling in the groin area.

yes, I would agree seeing your GP sooner and getting some xrays or MRI scans of your lumbar and sacral bones to see the nerves there

and to talk about an ultrasound of the groin area to check the blood vessels under the skin to see if there is any signs of blockage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

im only 25? i have been very ill for 2 years and not been very active.. do you think sitting around in similar positions would contribute to that? i only move to go get drinks and get things from upstairs and dont leave the house.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I know you are only 25.

what severe illness have you had for 2 years?

setting around in a similar position for long periods of time might put pressure on nerves in the pelvis and sacrum which could cause this tingling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

severe major depression, its left me unable to do anything as its gotten worse, so i sit pretty much all day everyday. I take it wouldnt take much for the tingling to flair up if it where nerve related? could anxiety worsen that?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I see

depression can cause real body aches and pains.

perhaps the tingling is from your depression.

there are depression medicaitons such as cymbalta can help with depression aches and pain and body symptoms.

anxiety could also possibly cause or worsen the symptoms as well

are you taking antidepression medications?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

im just on lithium at the moment, i was going to try another med but the tingling has made it impossible.. It feels real and im so ill its impossible to tell.. usual if its in my head i can force myself into distraction or vallium will help but the tingling is so prominent I cant do that, so it leads me to believe its real.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I see.

is the lithlium for bipolar disorder?

well your symptoms sound real enough to you.

I hope your depression gets better and hopefully once your depression gets better, your tingling sensation might improve as well.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Dr David

no just depression

but the tingling is more recent and more severe than anything else.. i will go back to my GP to see for further investigation to rule anything physical out.. its just obviously there all the time and so bad.. yes i did wonder if i where well this would be a minor irritation as appose to torture to a severely depressed person..

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
that is a good idea to go back to see your GP.

it is impossible to know that if you didn't have depression if you would still have the symptoms.

I hope you get better from your depression. you might need to talk to your doctor about higher doses of your antidepression medications.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi i replied to your previous message and left excellent service the money is gone from my balance, hopefully you received it,

thank you for you help Dr.David

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes I did

thank you so much for the excellent feedback

I hope you get better

please come back to JustAnswers and ask for me if you have other medical questions.

thanks for using Justanswers.