Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

just above my belly button i have what feels like a lump, about

just above my belly button i have what feels like a lump, about the size of a distorted orange. i can go for several days without pain but when it flares up it can be very very painful. Almost like nuscle cramps with sharp pain extending uo under my rib cage to the left. If i lay down for several hours it will fall back somewhat into my stomach area. Normally its very hard. I cant seem to pin it down on if its food related or what. Sometimes it does flare up after eating certain things but at other times i can eat the samething with out a problem. i do stay away from milk and any spicy food. Mild is the hottest i ever go even before this. The lump has been growing for the past 2 years. it can be very painful

Hello, Welcome to JustAnswer.com and thank you for your question. I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information- Have you got examined this lump from your doctor? Have you undergone any medical investigations? Does it increase in size on coughing, sneezing? Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ? Kind Regards, ***** *****

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you Doctor for your responce, the answer to all your questions is no,, i dont have medical insurence. it does not incease except if my meal size is larger. i tr to keep me meals small this seems to help with the pain not occuring.
Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information. I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.
Such lump above umblicus, should not be left ignored and have to be checked by your doctor. It can occur due to any of these possibilities-
1. Hernia- These types of Umbilical hernias can occur above, below or to one side of the belly button. They may or may not be tender (usually if they are pushed on hard enough, tenderness can be elicited).
If this is a hernia, they will typically require repair as they are at higher risk for incarceration (this is where the bowel becomes stuck).
2. Cyst- These are filled with a cheesy like material and if it is painful they have to be removed. It can also be a fatty tissue benign tumor
3. Lipoma- Lipomas are fatty growths that are found commonly in the subcutaneous tissues of the trunk.
Without being able to examine the area, it is difficult to say exactly what it is.
A thorough clinical examination and tests should be done for precise diagnosis.
I understand that you don't have insurance, but such lump should not be left ignored. I would recommend that you should make appointment with your primary doctor for evaluation and get it managed.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i do have very small cysts under my skin on my arms, some on my back, these are quarter size. Nothing this large. i dont know if that provides any useful information.
Dear Customer, Thanks for asking follow up question.
I understand that you have small cyst, under you skin in arms and back region. This lump can be inflamed or infected cyst.
It can also occur with umbilical hernia.
A thorough clinical examination and tests should be done for exact diagnosis.
You may need CAT scan and Ultrasound of abdomen along with blood tests for precise diagnosis.
I would recommend that you should make appointment with your primary doctor for evaluation and get it managed.