Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I hit my head above my ear around a week ago Friday and gave

I hit my head above my ear around a week ago Friday and gave myself a wound. I could of used stitches but kept it clean and didn't irritate it. I noticed today that it now is a bump. The wound is closing up should I be alarmed because the bump has just gotten noticeably larger. (It was a little swollen but not a bump.)

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details. Is that bump warm to touch? Is that bump very tender? Is the overlying skin red? Any fever? Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The bump is not warm to touch, and it is tender. I have not been running a fever. The skin around the cut is red.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. The cause for your problem can be seroma formation in the wound. Seroma is collection of serous secretions which come out from the wound or this can be an abscess secondary to wound infection. Other than this if you are worried about anything serious like any connection to brain etc then you don't need to stress yourself. I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations application of something for compression like band aid is helpful. Before applying that you can clean your wound with any antiseptic solution which is available over the counter and then can apply OTC neosporin ointment. After that you can apply band aid. Before applying band aid clan neosporin. Lastly take OTC tab aleve for pain relief. If you don't feel better in next 48 hours then see your doctor for assessment an treatment like oral antibiotics. So you should be alarmed but should not be stressed. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.