Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS; MD

why does methamphetamine make me stop racing thoughts and improve

why does methamphetamine make me stop racing thoughts and improve my concentration and focus?
Hello from JA

It can have this effect, but the down side of the drug outweighs this benefit.

Amphetamines in general will initially improve concentration and focus, and can temporarily subdue racing thoughts in some cases.

This does not address any specific underlying is a band aid in other words, and the problems of addiction and the dangerous nature of the drug will take over.

This is why your doctors are concerned.
Let me know if you have more details of questions, just use reply.

Please don't forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What does methamphetamine do pharmacologicaly in low doses that appear to reduce general schizophrenic effects such as auditory hallucinations and racing thoughts and help with mental focus.I get less feeling of being "watched" when using meth.

At what point does the methamphetamine use become an addiction and what would be the clinical observations apparent that there is a cross over of amphetamine induced psychosis over schizophrenic psychosis. Is there any risk that methamphetamine use could result in schizo affective disorders being wrongly diagnosed?

Are the methamphetamine effects quantifiable in relation to any particular measurement scale for schizoprenia?

Please cite references and research links appropriate to support your answer.

Amphetamine and methamphetamine can prolong wakefulness, increase focus and feelings of energy as well as decrease fatigue. They inhibit dopamine reuptake by interacting with the dopamine transporter (DAT), thereby increasing the concentration of dopamine in the synaptic cleft. Probably this is the reason behind your noticing improved attention and concentration. Methamphetamine does not decrease auditory hallucinations.

Antipsychotics used for treating Schizophrenia has the opposite effect on Dopamine concentration.

Amphetamine and Methamphetamine are both very addictive drugs and patient can become dependent on them. The side effect include Paranoia and worsening of psychotic symptoms in addition to various other side effects.

Methampheatime induced psychosis is usually of short duration but could be a chronic disorder lasting months to years. Schizophrenia is a usually a chronic illness.

Symptoms and Course of Psychosis After Methamphetamine Abuse: One-Year Follow-Up of a Case

I am giving you a link below. Hopefully you will get answers to most of your questions in here.

Amphetamine-induced Psychosis

If you still have any query left, we can discuss further once you have gone through the article.

Kind regards

Dr. Vikas, Doctor
Experience: MBBS; MD