Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I noticed some blood under my fingernail. In my haste to clean

I noticed some blood under my fingernail. In my haste to clean out the blood, I used the pointed end of an unused dental brushpick to clean the blood. I am worried that I punctured the skin under my fingernail and moved the blood into my body. I did not see any blood come out and immediately washed my hands with soap and water.
I assume that this was dried blood?

Where/how did you get this blood under your fingernail?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not sure of the source of the blood. I think the blood was from myself, possible by scratching the inside of my nose, but I am not sure. The blood was semi-dry. I was in my apartment at the time by myself. I am worried that the blood may have been there for a time before I noticed it.

Unless you had exposure to fresh blood (within minutes) from someone else, there really is no reason to be concerned. The HIV virus does NOT survive well in dried blood, and without any know exposure to someone else's blood AND the fact that you did not see any bleeding after cleaning the blood from under the nail, I would not worry yourself about this.

Even a accidental needlestick with a needle just used on an HIV positive patient only has a estimated risk of 30 in 10,000 cases.