Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have just come home from the hospital following a bout of

I have just come home from the hospital following a bout of pancreatitis. I was on a low-fat, clear liquid diet there and then moved to a liquid diet which included pureed soup, pudding etc. Now that I am home what foods can I eat and how fast can I add new ones assuming my stomach doesn't overreact?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

You may gradually and steadily advance your diet >> try adding one new food every 2 days... try as best that you can to stay low fat diet though...

Anthony Bray MD :

Fat in the diet would be the worst to stimulate the pancreas to secrete and could induce a flair up potentially of your pancreatitis....

Anthony Bray MD :

If you know the reason for your pancreatitis this may be helpful to my perpesctive as well ( alcohol, gallstones, high triglycerides or other...)

Anthony Bray MD :

I would advise that you progress with more to bland ( starch mostly diet...)

Customer:

gallstones as best they can tell, but they were just a few and small

Anthony Bray MD :

Carbohydrates are the easist componant of our diet for us to digest ( vs protein and fats)..

Anthony Bray MD :

I see..

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that you feel progressively better... I know that the problem of pancreatitis can be a bear!!

Anthony Bray MD :

Do you plan to have surgery to remove the gallbladder?? This is the usual course of action for this problem....

Customer:

Can you suggest a few foods to start with

Anthony Bray MD :

Sure... breads, rice, potatoes, soups,

Customer:

I may have an endoscopic ultrasound to further refine the diagnosis and then if necessary, the gallbladder surgery

Anthony Bray MD :

Pasta would be OK for you as well...

Anthony Bray MD :

I see >> good luck with these future procedures. I hope that all goes well for you!!

Customer:

How much fiber as in whole wheat bread?

Anthony Bray MD :

OK and fine for you to rat foods rich in fiber... you may add fruits and vegetables to your diet very soon in the progression as well...

Anthony Bray MD :

Ingestible componant = fiber is fine for you... this would NOT be a cause to aggravate your problem with the pancreatitis...

Anthony Bray MD :

OK if you even need a supplement such as Metamucil if you need this for example....

Anthony Bray MD :

meant eat foods in sentence above... sorry typo....

Customer:

What about acidic foods which many fruits are?

Anthony Bray MD :

Well the citrus fruits are the highest in acidic content ( oranges, lime, lemons, bananas, grapefruit) These would be more a problem if you had a problem with stomach ulcer but the acid content per se would not really aggravate pancreatitis...

Anthony Bray MD :

Still bland starch foods would be easier on you or more likely to NOT bother the pancreas....

Anthony Bray MD :

The fruits bring a bit more complexity as far as digestion but they are good for you nutritionally....

Anthony Bray MD :

They would be mid-ground between the simple starches but these are still LOW FAT which is the MAIN guideline in recovering from pancreatitis....

Customer:

What about the calcium supplements I take - should I keep taking them?

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes you may still take your calcium supplement....

Customer:

What percentage of fat in a food makes it low fat in this context?

Anthony Bray MD :

10 % is low fat ...

Anthony Bray MD :

> 30% would be high fat....

Anthony Bray MD :

so 11 to 29% would be middle ground in this regard....

Customer:

So I should stay at 10% or less

Anthony Bray MD :

Fatty meats such as bacon and hamburger should be the last componant of diet to try....

Anthony Bray MD :

To begin with yes.. but you may gradullay try middle range as you tolerate these...

Customer:

OK, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX provided more guidance than the hospital did

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice