Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

Daughter has severe ear ache. Had her ears cleaned (severe

Daughter has severe ear ache. Had her ears cleaned (severe wax build up). Doctor cleaned and gave her ear drops. She was fine for a week. Then Monday evening hit with severe ear ache. Began Azithromax antibiotic Monday night and taking Advil. She went to school Tuesday. Severe Ear throbbing back last. Gave her a "Pain med" to ease pain so she would sleep. Just gave her two advil and calling the Doctor. Anything else I can do to ease pain until we get an appointment with a ENT Doc.?
Thanks for your help.
Welcome here and thank you for your question.
I am Dr.Robert & will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-

Is there any discharge from ear?
Is there fever?
Any history of allergies?

I am waiting for your reply.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No discharge from ear.

No fever

Allergic to Penicillin.

Thank you for providing quick additional info.

Ear pain is often caused by a buildup of fluid and pressure behind the eardrum,in the area called the middle ear.

Other causes of ear pain are:ear infection,ear injury from pressure changes,sinus infection,throat infection,upper respiratory infections, Temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ),disorders of ear membrane.

As she is already taking oral antibiotic,ear drops & analgesic pain medication,these are usually sufficient enough to reduce the pain.

Following home treatment will help her further in pain relief:

-A warm washcloth or heating pad on the ear will help her to provide great relief.Heat can bring quick pain relief.

-Bed rest will help in pain relief.Resting will help the body fight the infection.

-Other measures/medications you have already given her.

ENT doctor may look into her ear using an instrument called an otoscope to check for signs of swelling and infection.Ear swab test may be done.

As you have already given her advil medication,if still the pain persists,then you need to take her to the ER & accordingly after examination treatment will be done there.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Hi Christine

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

How is your daughter's ear pain now?
Have you consulted ENT doctor?

Let me know,