Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

I did some tests last month and my doctor said I have hepatitis

I did some tests last month and my doctor said I have hepatitis C genotype 1b.
I would like to know what tests I should take to make sure it is positive and in which test they know I have hepatitis. What would be the medication and the next step....I can let you know my results if you want.These are the results I got:ALT (ALANINE AMINOTRANSFERASE), SERUM
AST (ASPARTATE AMINOTRANSFERASE), SERUM
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE
BILIRUBIN, TOTAL, SERUM
INR (INTERNATIONAL NORMALIZED RATIO) - PROTHROMBIN TIME, ON WHOLE BLOOD
ALBUMIN, SERUM
FASTING LIPID PANEL
GLUCOSE, FASTING
VITAMIN D, 25-HYDROXY
T PALLIDUM IGG + IGM
CHLAMYDIA/GC, SWAB AMPLIFIED PROBE TECHNIQUE
Cervical Cancer Screening (Pap)
LIPID PANEL
GLUCOSE, FASTING
SODIUM, SERUMThank you very much
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
If you have been diagnosed with Hepatitis C down to the point of it being diagnosed as to the genotype then there is no question that you do indeed have Hepatitis C. The genotype is not a first test at all. This would be a later test and would only be done after immunology tests had established the diagnosis in the first place.....
There are several potential regimens for the treatment of Hepatitis C. Interferon plus Ribiviron is a common combination used. There are a couple of new medications also now available for the treatment of Hepatitis C. You need to be under the care of a gastroenterologist that is familiar with treating Hepatitis C. The options for treatment would be explained to you in detail by the specialist. It may be recommended for you to have a liver biopsy done to help determine what stage if damage that you are currently at with this chronic infection. The response to therapy is measured over time. The response is measured by checking the viral count in the blood following treatment.
In the results that you list above the AST and ALT and alkaline phosphatase would have probably been higher than normal. These are liver enzymes and are going to usually be high in the case if the chronic inflammation of the liver with Hepatitis C.
The prothrombin time test( INR) may have been normal or could have been elevated above normal. The liver has a key function in the production of proteins that are related to the blood's ability to clot. This test is a measure of your clotting function. In milder disease of the liver this might be impacted but it would be in more severe liver disease.
The albumin is a main protein in the blood. This is produced by the liver. Liver disease that is more advanced may be associated with an abnormal low amount of albumin being present in the blood. So if you had mild disease of the liver
with liver function still intact this test may be normal but albumin would tend to be low in more advanced liver disease.
The bilirubin may be high as this is produced and flows out of the liver to the pancreas.
I hope this information is helpful to you! Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice