911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

I have had GERD for a few years. Six weeks ago, I was also

I have had GERD for a few years. Six weeks ago, I was also diagnosised with LPRD as I now have an inflamed larynx. My voice is constantly hoarse and gets worse the longer I talk. That did not bother me, however, now I find I struggle with breathing when standing and talking for even just a few minutes. I feels as though I cannot take in enough air. I see my ENT the end of the week but just wondering if this goes along with having LPRD?
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.

911DOC :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911DOC :

this certainly COULD all go together.

911DOC :

Laryngopharyngeal reflux CAN produce these symptoms,

911DOC :

But I am very glad you are seeing your ENT this week

911DOC :

because you will need a good look by a scope

911DOC :

to see what your vocal cords look like.

911DOC :

are you there?

Customer:

The ENT used a scope when I saw him 6 weeks ago and saw the inflamed larynx. Could it have possibly gotten worse as I did not have the breathing issues 6 weeks ago. This just started a few weeks ago but I was not as concerned when it first started as I am now.

Customer:

Yes, was typing

911DOC :

He or she will definitely want to do the scope again.It's strange that this has progressed even though you are on good acid blocking medicine, though this sometimes DOES happen with GERD that is difficult to treat.

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

I also have trouble swallowing certain foods as it feels like there is a constant lump in my throat. I do have thyroid cancer and my thyroid was removed

Customer:

Can this be treated another way?

Customer:

I had endoscopy two weeks ago and was told I also have esphogoitis (spelled wrong) but not severe

911DOC :

That's a hard question to answer because we do not know yet that this IS ONLY from LPRD.

911DOC :

I assume you have been tested for the bacteria that causes ulcers and gastritis.... helicobacter pylori.

911DOC :

Is this true?

Customer:

Do you know possible other causes? I just want to be prepared for my visit and know what questions to ask

911DOC :

Well the list would be quite long....

911DOC :

Most likely this is LPRD

Customer:

I have not gotten all the results from the endoscopy yet. I have had H. Pylori in the past. I get the results of the biopsies tomorrow

911DOC :

but a recurrence of your thyroid cancer could be to blame or any number of other cancers that can occur in and around the larynx. Laryngeal cancer is possible. A mass in the chest could cause this. A heart problem could cause this. A variety of lung issues could cause this. But all of the above are very unlikely.

911DOC :

Where there's smoke there is fire and LPRD DOES make sense here

911DOC :

It's just puzzling that a good resolution has not been found to date.

911DOC :

Have you been treated for the H pylori infection with anti-biotics?

911DOC :

If so, did it improve your symptoms?

Customer:

Yes. However, that was a few years ago. Not sure if it came back. I had no symptoms then. Found when I had endoscopy when checking for something else. And yes, it is puzzling. I hate getting hoarse and the breathing issue has become troublesome. I guess I will just have to wait and see. I have a heart problem already and will also see my cardio dr. in a few weeks. Will update him on what is going on. I am sure it is the LPRD but just needed some confirmation. Thanks you for your time.

911DOC :

you are most welcome.

911DOC :

to some extent you may be also experiencing vocal cord spasm

Customer:

and that can be treated?

911DOC :

Yes, it can be treated, and it's usually treated with speech therapy, but, I suspect, before we can add this to the list your doctors will want to really knock the GERD and LPRD out.... So this weeks appt is very critical indeed.

Customer:

Okay, thanks again. I will keep you advice in the back of my head when I have the appt. Just tired of the hoarseness, sore throat etc. Hopefully I will start getting some resolution.

911DOC :

I hope so to.

911DOC :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Be Well

911Doc

Customer:

Thanks you for the link

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician