Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,30 years of experience
15267045

Stomach cramps, gas, discomfort, can you open a chat window

Stomach cramps, gas, discomfort, can you open a chat window to talk?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.

Vakul Aren :

Hi.Welcome to just Answer.

Vakul Aren :

I am Dr.Vakul Aren with over 30 years of experience,I will help answer your queries.

Vakul Aren :

Since when are you having this problem?

Customer:

Hello since friday midday

Customer:

checked myself intto ER fri night as well

Customer:

they did some tests

Customer:

are u there?

Vakul Aren :

Yes,I am here.

Customer:

so what do i have

Customer:

is viral gasterentitis

Customer:

is it

Vakul Aren :

What were the initial symptoms and what tests have been done?

Customer:

urine test was fine

Customer:

cbc was also done

Customer:

wbc was 9.7

Customer:

rbc was 4.26

Customer:

ast was a little high at 113, this is odd because i just had blood work done 3 weeks back and it was at 68

Customer:

ast was 48

Customer:

which is weird

Customer:

because it was 39 3 weeks ago

Vakul Aren :

Have you had any retrosternal burning or acidity?Have you had anyliver problems recently?

Customer:

i am male and 32

Customer:

i do have heart burn

Customer:

from alcohol, coffee etc

Customer:

but i have had that hert burn for years

Customer:

ther er doc said i likely have gasteroentitis

Customer:

and said it usually last 2 to 3 days

Customer:

told me to take pepsid and pepto bismol if i like

Vakul Aren :

Are you currently on medication for any other problem?Has a ultrasound scan of the abdomen been done to check the liver and gall bladder?

Customer:

no ultra sound was done

Customer:

the er doc said not necessary at that time

Customer:

i am on a antifungal cream/powder for jock itch

Customer:

which is almost gone now

Customer:

but thats the only medication

Vakul Aren :

Acute Gasteroenteritis is usually short lived,may be secondary to a viral infection,will involve cramps,loose stools ,nausea and sometimes vomiting.This usually settles down in a couple of days.

Customer:

i didnt have vomiting or nausea

Customer:

i had stools only once today

Customer:

they were somewhat loose but not like diarrhia loose

Vakul Aren :

There may have been a mild attack,how are you feeling now?

Customer:

i am ok except the mild cramps in stomach

Customer:

a little gas

Customer:

but not too much

Vakul Aren :

Spicy food may occasionally cause this, I think the peptobismol and Pepcid should help.If the pain is severe,a antispasmodic like buscopan will help.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

also

Customer:

over the past few weeks i have had on and off a metallic taste/ pale ale beer type of tast in saliva

Customer:

is that due to a tooth problem?

Customer:

my taste of food and drinks is same

Customer:

but saliva tasttes a bit off

Vakul Aren :

It may occur due to the gasteroenteritis,A bitter taste may occur due to increased acidity.

Customer:

a doctor sent a separate blood test to test for zinc, vitamin b12 and 2 other things

Customer:

to check on what is causing the weird taste

Vakul Aren :

Avoid dairy products and high fibre foods for a couple of days.I would wait for a few day.s before investigating for zinc/B12 deficiency since taste alterations can occur in acute GE(gastroeneteritis)

Customer:

ok

Customer:

what causes gasterentitis

Vakul Aren :

Use of OTC products containing simethicone like Gelusil/Mylanta will help with the gas.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

what causes gasterntitis though

Vakul Aren :

Gasteroenteritis is thought to be caused by viral or bacterial infections of the stomach and intestines.

Customer:

how do those infections happen

Vakul Aren :

The inflammation of bowels is also referred to as stomach flu.

Vakul Aren :

They may occur due to contaminated food or water,or due to a viral infection acquired from a contact.

Customer:

a contact?

Vakul Aren :

Contact with another person who is infected with the virus.

Vakul Aren :

C ontact with a person who is having the viral infection.

Customer:

like sex?

Customer:

i havent had sex in a few years

Vakul Aren :

Contact with a person who is having the viral infection and may pass the infection to you is referred to as a contact

Customer:

oh

Vakul Aren :

The contact may be as brief as shaking hands or sharing the same room as viral infections can be passed on by droplet inhalation.

Customer:

i see

Customer:

so u think what i have is not that serious?

Customer:

i am really worried

Customer:

i am a bit ocd about health issues

Customer:

and always think the worst

Customer:

when i have an issue

Vakul Aren :

Usually there is uneventful recovery within a few days.I am sure you will regain good health very soon.

Vakul Aren :

All the symptoms including the altered taste should recover shortly.

Vakul Aren :

It would help if you are not stressed or anxious about this.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

somene told me the metallic tate could be due to a cavity

Customer:

or bleeding gum

Customer:

taste

Customer:

as another possibility

Vakul Aren :

Gum disease or dtental caries will also cause altered taste.But since you already have a disease which causes altered taste,it would be best to let this end before investigating other causes.

Customer:

ok

Vakul Aren :

Do you have any other worries which i may help you with?

Customer:

umm, what do u think of my blood counts

Vakul Aren :

Elevation of WBC will occur in a viral or bacterial infection as has occurred in your case.This will settle down soon.

Customer:

is it elevated?

Customer:

my wbc has always been over 9

Vakul Aren :

Mildly.

Customer:

over hte last few years

Vakul Aren :

That may be normal in your case.

Customer:

ok it was 9.1, 8.2, 9.4 and 9.7

Customer:

the last 4 times i checked in last 3 years

Vakul Aren :

Please rate my answer positively if you are satisfied.The WBC counts are on the higher side,discussing this with your PCP/doctor would be prudent.

Customer:

according the cbc

Customer:

9.7 is within normal range

Customer:

or in that lab

Customer:

4.5 to 11 is considered normal

Vakul Aren :

The range is between 4500-11,000,your count is consistently on the higher end of normal.

Customer:

thats good though right?

Vakul Aren :

It may be the normal count in your case,but I would keep an eye on it in the future.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

why are u concerned about it

Vakul Aren :

Higher counts usually occur in response to inflammation and allergy.

Customer:

could it mean i am dieing?

Vakul Aren :

No.Alteration in the normal range are usually normal,it helps keeping track of such oddities.

Customer:

i am seeing my primary care doc tuesday

Customer:

anything u recommend i ask him to check?

Vakul Aren :

It would help mentioning that the counts are usually on the higher side of the normal range.

Customer:

well besides the counts

Customer:

based on everything i told u

Vakul Aren :

I think the gasteroenteritis and taste alteration would recover soon,there would be no cause to worry about these symptoms.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

why did they do a urine test

Vakul Aren :

Urine infections or Nephritis may also causes similar symptoms,hence a urine test is done to rule it out

Vakul Aren :

Please accept the answer/rate the answer positively.Thank you.

Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H,30 years of experience