Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Hello I am a 48 year old mother ( to one 6 year old) I

Hello
I am a 48 year old mother ( to one 6 year old)
I was told I had 3 Gall stones , one the size of a marble.
I have had a feeling under my left Breast / Rib cage area, ( not the right ) and has been a feeling like a twist or pain and niggle feeling , so I had an ultra sound done & they told me of the Gall stones, that was a week ago.. this Friday evening I had what felt like acute Viral gastroenteritis , head ache , sore joints , sickness , vary bad shakes etc , today I feel a bit better. I have a to book an appointment for some blood work , ( another online doctor told me to seek advice from you, I live in Calgary Alberta Canada, my gp at the moment is a walk in clinic and he sent me home after he got my results from ultra sound & Gall stones, which are bothering me.. Please help your sincerely Mrs.M.Townsend
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Customer:

hello

Anthony Bray MD :

First of all I suspect that what felt like acute gastroenteritis was PROBABLY just that... the aches adn soreness and nausea >> Did you have some diarrhea as well??

Anthony Bray MD :

That would be common with a case of gastroenteritis...

Customer:

no diarrhea , just sore body

Anthony Bray MD :

If you had an INFECTED GALLBLADDER then this would be an emergent problem.. This would be expected to cause severe abdominal pain and fever....

Anthony Bray MD :

OK....

Anthony Bray MD :

It sounds rather non-specific but probably does not rise to the degree of severity to think that it were an infected gallbladder....

Customer:

How can I find out if my Gall bladder if ok or not ?

Anthony Bray MD :

Gallstones are usually treated by surgical removal of the gallbladder... Most cases these days are done by endoscopic surgery>> no major scar but three small ones...

Customer:

Can gall stones be removed "naturally" as mine are small , but I had pain in my side for 2 years now

Anthony Bray MD :

The blood work should include a CBC (= complete blood count) plus differential (=a breakdown of the white blood cells) this would indicate if you were by chance fighting a serious baterial infection....

Customer:

ok so ill do the blood work next week and go from there!

Anthony Bray MD :

Well the risk is that stones once formed may get into the duct system >> may get stuck in the pancrea and may cause pancreatitis>> this then becomes a MUCH MORE serious issue if this should occur...

Anthony Bray MD :

It is possible to try and traet medically with medication to help dissolve stones over time... this is done for non-surgical candidates...

Customer:

is a Serum electrolytes , renal function test required ?

Anthony Bray MD :

It is actually considered higher risk to go this route than to have the surgery...

Anthony Bray MD :

Oh well I would agree that a meatabolic panel would usually be done in your circumstance... this would include liver functions tests, bilirubin, kidney function adn electrolytes > yes...

Customer:

have you heard of Chanca Piedra, that breaks up stones?

Anthony Bray MD :

Your doctors would be looking for abnormal elevation of bilirubin and liver enzymes as possible evidence of obstruction... checking these would be standard...

Customer:

its a herb

Anthony Bray MD :

No, I'm not specifically familiar with that one...

Customer:

me either , so was my gp right to send me home and do nothing about the gall stones?

Anthony Bray MD :

The medication Actigall mayy be used for dissolving stones... (=Ursodiol)

Customer:

ok thanks will look for it , and any type of diet ??

Anthony Bray MD :

There is not generally much to do medically speaking except pain control and we Family Practice Doctors would strongly recommend that you be referred to a general surgeon...

Anthony Bray MD :

We don't recommend the treatment with Actigall vs surgery but the option is there and some patients of course REFUSE surgery....

Anthony Bray MD :

Foe example my wife had gallstones diagnosed a month after the birth of our third child and she had surgery.. went home next AM and was shopping the same weekend.. it is not that terribly bad usually...

Customer:

so when the use the Ultrasound , they can pin point each gall stone, so the gall stones may effect the feeling in the other parts of my body ie left

Customer:

lower rib cage & back

Anthony Bray MD :

It is the risk of pancreatitis that is the real potential bear of this situation... (pancreatitis can actually be fatal >> it is not a benign illness!!)

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes you may have referred pain.. that is possible..with the pain on your left side I can't rule out other possible cause based just on this....

Customer:

Are you based in the UK or Canada ?

Anthony Bray MD :

If it hurts to press in under the right ribcage and hurts on the LEFT side with this then thatwould be good evidence of it being gallbladder related pain...

Anthony Bray MD :

US actually...

Customer:

ok so not 4am in the morning

Anthony Bray MD :

No >> I'm on EST it is 410 PM...

Customer:

ok ill do the blood tests & go from there

Anthony Bray MD :

BTW I have some family in Toronto... beutiful city...

Anthony Bray MD :

OK that sounds like a good plan.. you need follow up on this clearly...

Customer:

Thanks so much for your time & have a good weekend

Anthony Bray MD :

Thank you and you as well!!

Customer:

Cheers

Anthony Bray MD :

You are quite welcome. Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back wtih you if so! Best Regards!!

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpful adn to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank you and Best regards again!

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my 6 year old is coughing in her sleep , the mucus in her chest is making her cough , I have used Vikes , for tonight , should I be concerned ?

Hello!

It sounds that she probably has some bronchitis that has developed. About 80%-90% of the time this type of respiratory infection is viral and runs its course over about a week to ten days. I would advise to keep watch in her symptoms and the trend of the illness. A slow progressive worsening is more typical of a bacterial illness. Children run a fever more easily with infections than adults do as one point. If she had a mild fever early in the illness which improved within the first few days then this would be more common pattern with viral infection.( most cases of bronchitis do not cause significant fever though) A pattern of increasing fever over several days would more concerning for possible bacterial infection( and risk even of pneumonia) Normal temperature is a range of 98.6 degrees plus or minus 1.3 degrees ....

I would keep check on her to make sure that she does not seem short of breath( wheezing, rapid or labored breathing) this should not be the case with a simple bronchitis. Any such problems would indicate that she needs to be seen by her doctor.

I hope this helps. I hope also that she gets well soon! Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks , she's sleeping in with me , so I am checking her through the night .. the cough started a few days ago , and got worse over the weekend , I have one too, but not as bad , as I was ill with my other problem.. so was wondering if we both had a bug, ill take her to my GP tomorrow , so we can both get a check up , the Vicks on the feet works with kids ( socks on ) and chest.. and rest .. thankyou for getting back to me ..

Hello again,

Ok -- I agree that it would be good for you both to check in with your doctor tomorrow. I think this illness would make sense with your symptoms where you felt bad and ached in joints. I suspect that this may well be a viral illness affecting you both and that the gallstones are separate problem... The left side pain may well be due to gallstones .... Again exam may help to determine this.

Oh and I meant to mention earlier that it is recommended for you to stick to a LOW FAT diet. Fat in diet causes the gallbladder to contract and this may cause biliary colic ( pain due to the stones)

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have anything further!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

great thanks, I try and keep a low fat diet, but that's good to know, I weigh 136 lbs, my daughter is sleeping better now.

Hello again,

Good--- I'm glad she was able to sleep and get some rest. Let me know if you have any further questions. Either now or in the future --- you can get me to address me ( Dr. Bray) or go to my profile page and ask question from there....

Take care!

Anthony Bray MD