Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

what causes tingling in hands and face? this has been going

what causes tingling in hands and face? this has been going on for five days and came out of nowhere?

Hello!

Does this come and go over time??

Do you have problems with anxiety or panic attacks??

I have seen the pattern of tingling especially of the hands and around the mouth (or other distribution of the face at times) that may be caused by hyperventilation >> the hyperventilation causes the body to remove carbon dioxide and this raises the pH of the blood and may be a cause of this >> it causes paresthesias especially of the hands and face...

Other causes may be possible especially if the symptom is more chronic. Let me know if this is the case with you.

I will be happy to get back with you and discuss this further!!

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be much appreciated! Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

After I emailed you, I felt like I was going to pass out. I called 911 and went to the hospital. The hospital took blood tests, Xray, CT Scan, and EKG and found nothing wrong. They think it is stress. Do the symptoms go away on their own and how do I reduce stress?

Hello again,

Dizziness (feeling light headed or that you are about to faint) are also possible symptoms of hyperventilation... If hyperventilation due to panic attacks then these usually last about 30 minutes of less (but may be recurrent)

With stress it would usually be the case that some changes may have created the stress >> Is this the case with you?? Any major recent changes that have made you uncomfortable in some way?? (This may also be POSITVE changes such as having a baby, getting engaged, married, job promotion...)

I think much would depend on how persistent your symptoms are. If the dizziness and tingling sensations are ongoing then it would seem more likely that the matter needs to be pursued and if due to stress then this would need to be checked into further and treated (perhaps need for anxiety medication for example).

Let me know if you are having ongoing symptoms or problems with anxiety/stress. I will be happy to get back with you to discuss further or if you have other questions!!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD