Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

COULD MY MENTAL, PHYSICAL AND HORMONAL CONDITIONS ALL BE LINKED,

COULD MY MENTAL, PHYSICAL AND HORMONAL CONDITIONS ALL BE LINKED, AND HOW???

I have a long and complex history of mental health and emotional difficulties, as well as diagnoses of both PCOS and PMDD. I also suffer with seizures that have been diagnosed as both epileptic and non epileptic by different consultants in neurology, psychiatry and general medicine.

I feel there must be a link somewhere between all these different conditions, possibly in relation to my hormones and menstrual cycle. However, no doctor has been willing to investigate anything in very much depth, or to look for any links which may then improve my chances of treatment and recovery.

My question is this: Does anyone know of any reasons why I might be suffering with such a complex range of difficulties, if there are any possible links between them all, and if there are any tests or treatments I should be requesting from my physicians?

I am a 28 year old female who has been unwell, in and out of hospital, and unable to work due to my ill health, for most of my adult life.
ANY USEFUL INFORMATION OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA
Functional medicine doctors look at underlying causes and I happen to be a trained functional medicine doctor as well as a board certified internist and a board certified integrative medicine doctor.

There is a key question here

What does your EEG show?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My EEG showed 'slight abnormalities'. I also had a 24 hour video telemetry EEG, which again showed 'slight abnormalities', both during seizures and when at rest. The results were deemed inconclusive, and I was then discharged from this particular clinic.

Do you have a report summary on either than you can type in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't I'm afraid. I'm currently staying with family who are helping to care for me, and all my documentation is back at my own home.

OK
If you have seizures that is one thing, but if it is pseudo seizures that is something else
Has this term been mentioned to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, at one time it was thought I had epilepsy, but subsequently I was diagnosed with non epileptic attack disorder, ie pseudo seizures. I have a good understanding of the disorder, and that it is a psychological condition that cannot be treated with anti convulsant medications. However, whether this is a correct diagnosis or whether I do in fact have some form of epilepsy, or indeed both, is still unclear to myself and to my doctors. It seems we are now going around in circles, and my overall health continues to deteriorate, hence I wonder if there is a link that may have been missed somewhere.

You are not giving me any lab findings, or testing with any clear results, hormonal or other wise.

Has anyone found anything clearly abnormal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, sorry.

My mental health related diagnoses and also my more recent diagnosis of PMDD, were made based on symptom history.

My PCOS was diagnosed approximately 5 years ago after seeing my GP regarding irregular menstruation and other related symptoms. Blood results indicated the disorder, and I then had an internal ultrasound which confirmed the diagnosis. My hormone levels are clearly abnormal in lab results and have been for many years, but I don't know which ones or in what way.

In terms of my seizures, CT and MRI scans approximately two years ago were both normal, whilst as I say my EEG and telemetry results showed some inconclusive abnormalities.

I have noticed there seems to be some sort of correlation between my seizure activity and menstrual cycle, and seizures seem to coincide with my PMT symptoms in the week before my period. However, due to my PCOS my periods are irratic and irregular, so it is very difficult to know for sure if there is a link or not.

In addition I forgot to mention that I also have an unusually high white blood cell count, normally around 15, increasing to about 20 at times of ill health, for which a cause has never been found.

I have never been given detailed results from any of my tests by any of my consultants, only ever verbal explanations, so I have no further information I can give you I'm afraid. Are you able to answer any part of my question based on the information I've already provided?

I would really appreciate any insights you might have.

OK
There is no medical condition ...diagnosis,...that ties these together in a single condition.

Chronically high white count per se with no other abnormalities, with the white count at this level is often allergy.

But that gets into the underlying function of your immune system, hormones, gut function, cellular energy transport, toxicity and biotransformation and structural issues.

In short, you need a functional medicine assessment...conventional thinking is not helping you.

In addition to any psychotherapy..which is also missing from your description, you need an evidence based lab assessment and exam concerning these other factors.

You can find an MD with this training here.

www.functionalmedicine.org

See the find a practitioner link, upper right.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thank you for your insights.

Please can you explain to me what functional medicine is and what a functional medical assessment would involve? Also, when you suggest an evidence based lab assessment and examination what do you mean by this, and do you mean in relation to my mental health or physical health issues?

In relation to my high white cell count potentially being caused by an allergy, do you then mean this can in turn affect the other bodily functions you've described? I am struggling to understand your explanations, if you are able to simplify them for me at all.

For your information I am currently on the NHS waiting list for psychotherapy. However, my mental health diagnoses of Bipolar and Personality Issues have now been called into question, as focus has turned more to my deteriorating physical health, and the possibility that this has been the cause my mental health problems all along.

Functional medicine looks at the factors I mentioned in the last post.
It measure these functions and uses mostly natural medicine to correct dysfunction.
Evidence based labs mean labs that measure reality..such as toxins in the system, or thyroid dysfunction, of hormonal dysfunction.

No defined allergy and elevated white count might indicate an inflammatory tendency and functional medicine doctor will measure this as well.

We recently trained a bunch of functional medicine doctors in the UK

If you call the IFM they should be able to help you with contact information.

Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc