911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

I am male, 79 years of age. Recently I have prob lems passing

I am male, 79 years of age. Recently I have prob lems passing water,.quite servere discomfort and occasionally pass small tiny slivers of matter.

911DOC :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911DOC :

This complaint almost certainly means you have a prostate issue.

911DOC :

These break down into three varieties...

911DOC :

Acute prostatitis, an infection of the prostate which comes on rather quickly and causes decreased urine and, usually, a feeling like you have the flu... low back pain is often present.

911DOC :

Benign prostatic hypertrophy. An enlargement of the prostate that, over time, decreases uring flow and makes it hard to empty your bladder fully.

911DOC :

Prostate cancer. the same symptoms as Benign prostatic hypertrophy, but this IS cancer.

911DOC :

The point is that at this point you absolutely need to see your doctor for evaluation.

911DOC :

This will include a blood test, a urine test, and will likely require a referral to a urologist, a surgeon who specializes in diseases of the urinary tract and prostate.