Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

Hi , I have a sever pain in my lower back, while the pain itself

Hi , I have a sever pain in my lower back, while the pain itself does not extend to my legs I can feel the nerve of on the side of my left leg being slightly pulled. I can not walk straight, sleeping is uncomfortable and the only position I do not feel the pain is sitting down. Pain came suddenly yesterday as soon as I sat up from a chair in the middle of the day Any help?
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question.

On a grade of 1 to 10 how will you rate the pain?
Do you have numbness in left leg?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
Is pain continuous?
Have you noticed redness/ swelling or discoloration in leg?
Have you tried any medications?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

pain is around 8 when walking or trying to stand up.

no numbness whatsoever in my left leg

Not suffering from anything.

slight unconformable all the time but pain only when standing

No pain whatsoever while sitting

no redness or discolouration in leg

no did not try anything yet.

Dear XXXXX, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.

Your symptoms have come due to compression of sciatica nerve, it can be compressed all of a sudden, during postural changes. Associated nerves in lower spine, may also be affected, and this has caused severe lower back pain.

Kindly follow these measures-
-Application of ice packs on lower back for 15 minutes can be done 3-4 times a day.
-Stretching exercises for your low back can help you feel better and may help relieve nerve root compression.
-You should take help from physical therapist. Physical therapy includes various modalities like - Short wave diathermy, Infra red , Wax therapy , these will help you a lot.
-You can take OTC painkiller like Motrin twice a day.
-You may be prescribed with may be prescribed with Vicodin, It contains acetaminophen and hydrocodone and will help to resolve symptoms.

-In case, symptoms doesn't improve, then your doctor can prescribe- certain anti-seizure and anti-depressant medications. It helps in blocking pain messages sent to the brain. If required Epidural steroid injections can be advised. An epidural steroid injection places this powerful anti-inflammatory medication directly around the spinal nerves.

You may be advised MRI of lower spine for precise diagnosis.
I would recommend that you visit your primary doctor for evaluation and get it managed.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.