911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

I am 35 year old female. I went on a 4 day eating binge eating

I am 35 year old female. I went on a 4 day eating binge eating past the point of being full so much so I was in pain so the 5th day I got it together and was eating right and healthier and then that night I ate till I was full which was quite a bit of food, the next day I ate way to much fiber ( without thinking about it) I had 4 fiber bars popcorn salmon, lots of high fiber foods. By the end of the day my stomach was making noises and moving around like there was a baby in there and there was pressure in my abdomen,lower back, and my right thigh. it lasted for less than 24 hours, I ate nothing the day after that happened and today I tried to have a glass of almond milk but after I did I felt nausea and then just light aches in my body for about an hour or two then it quit..I have a dr's appt tomorrow at 10a.m. but until then should I not eat anything. I was considering a banana but after the way the glass of almond milf affected me I am not sure that is wise

911DOC :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911DOC :

I see no problem with you trying a banana.

911DOC :

Obviously you have a big problem with the binging.

911DOC :

and I am glad you are seeing the doctor tomorrow.

911DOC :

but from a practical standpoint

911DOC :

if you are feeling okay and not having abdominal pain now and wish to try a banana there is no reason not to do this.

911DOC :

reasons not to try it would be vomiting, increasing abdominal pain, and fever to name a few.

911DOC :

standing by

911DOC :

are you there?

Customer:

Earlier today was the first time I had tried anything at all in over 24 hours and it was just a glass of almond milk and after trying it I felt nausea and that is why I was a little nervous to try anything else till after I seen the dr tomorrow..about the binging I researched alot these few

Customer:

last few days and it seems i might be bulimic..I just did not know because i do not ever make myself throw up so I assumed that was the definition of bulimic..but I do sometimes binge and then not eat for days or exercise excessively so I will talk to the dr about that tomoorow

911DOC :

good. that will be an important talk to have.

911DOC :

do you have other questions for me tonight?

911DOC :

do you need a good reference on eating disorders?

Customer:

no reference necesary thank you and my question is do you think I have harmed myself internally or my body is just taking sometime to digest well

911DOC :

no, I do not think you have harmed yourself internally. it IS possible to eat to such excess that one ruptures their esophagus or other portion of the GI tract.

911DOC :

however,

911DOC :

when this happens people get very sick over the course of hours, with increasing pain, vomiting, and fever.

911DOC :

so I do not think THIS is a concern

911DOC :

You may be very constipated from the fiber, as, contrary to popular belief, it is not really a laxative, but a bulk forming agent that pulls water into the stool making it softer

911DOC :

but if you aren't getting enough water you can get constipated

Customer:

ok great, no constipation here, everything is well in that end but thank you for telling me that fiber can affect you like that and I was worried to eat again would cause me pain on the inside but I have no increasing pain or anything that you named and that was Tuesday so two days ago so I too am going to trust that I am well

911DOC :

I think that there is no emergency here, and that you have an eating disorder, perhaps binge-eating disorder... being honest with your doctor tomorrow is VERY important as is a desire to overcome this.

Customer:

no worries on the being honest part..I know I need help just did not realize I could binge that way..it had never happened that badly before usually it would be a 2 or 3 days binge on junk but not eating to the point of pain..I appreciate your time and hope you have a great night

911DOC :

I hope you have a great night too, and I hope you have good success in making some important changes.

Customer:

I will =) Thank you

911DOC :

should you need my help in the future simply start your question

Customer:

thank you

911DOC :

with 'for 911doc only' and I am usually on during the days

911DOC :

positive feedback makes me smile,

911DOC :

be well, and God bless.

Customer:

ok thank you for letting me know and I will

Customer:

God bless you too

911DOC :

good. good night ;)