Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am in school for medical assisting and we have been doing

I am in school for medical assisting and we have been doing capillary punctures on other students in the class. Today I was cleaning up and failed to put gloves on. I used a sani cloth to wipe up about an inch of dried blood from the table. Since I have the tiny lancet cuts on my fingers, I am concerned about transmission of bloodborne pathogens. How likely would contracting one be from this?

RickMD :

Internal medicine internship in NYC with two decades of clinical experience. I am online and available to assist you today.

RickMD :

You have nothing to worry about.

RickMD :

The chances of you catching any bloodborne pathogens from what you have described is as close to zero as anything in life can get.

RickMD :

You will be fine. :)

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes. I just wanted to make sure I was in the clear, since the blood would have had to travel through the cloth to get in my cuts.

RickMD :

Yes. You are in the clear. Just having the blood dry kills most things, let alone the alcohol you put on it from the sani wipe

RickMD :

Do you have any other questions for me?

Customer:

I was slightly concerned because when i goggled it, various websites seemed to be indicating that the hepatitis virus can stay alive for up to four days. Do I need to be concerned about that?

Customer:

Oh and also that alcohol doesn't kill it.

RickMD :

That is correct...under perfect conditions hepatitis can live for 4 days..but that means your classmate had the disease in the first place, you got a sufficient dose in your finger through the towel and your skin....it is not that easy to catch horrible diseases.

RickMD :

I had a dying aids patient with Hep A,B &C, along with TB spew blood flecked goo in my face when his vent tube came out. It got in my eye, mouth nose and ran down into my underware....I didn't catch a thing/

RickMD :

I think you will live. :)

RickMD :

Your instructions for today is to have Google blocked from being accessed by your computer lol!

Customer:

Haha that is very comforting to know! Since we just finished the bloodborne pathogen and infectious disease chapters, my brain is slightly more focused on such minimal things. Sorry for such a far fetched question!

RickMD :

No problem. That is why you mash the excellent feedback button :P

Customer:

Oh but i goggle everything! Part of where my worrying comes from...

RickMD :

Don't believe every thing Mr. Google tells you.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

RickMD :

Good luck in your studies.