Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

hey doc. i have been losing a little weight recently and it

hey doc. i have been losing a little weight recently and it is kinda concerning me. I went to the doc last week and i had a cbc , lipid panels, thyroid, and blood glucose checked. everything was normal except my wbc was a little high. My doc said i was probably just fluctutating due to stress. do you think i have anything to worry about?

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details. Is there any associated symptom with this weight loss? How much weight you have lost and in how much time? Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no other symptoms. I have had a few bouts with some sinus/ respiratory infections. But nothing else. I still have a good appetite except when im stressed. I have probably lost 7 to 10lbs in about 2 months. it all started when i quit smoking. I have been chewing nicorette gum and i have been quit ever since. i just thought most people gained weight when they quit.

Thanks a lot for your input. James first of all i thank you for contacting me for your problem. There can be many factors behind your weight loss. These include stress and quitting smoking. Stress itself is a known cause for weight loss. As far as quitting smoking is concerned yes usually there is weight gain but there is no set pattern for this. You have had your tests done and in the light of these tests i can assure you that you don't need to worry because if there was anything serious, the test should have shown abnormalities. Regarding WBC i would say that the only cause of this in your case is the recurrent respiratory tract infection. You should just keep you under observation and if you loose more weight then you should see internal medicine specialist but hopefully this will not be required because so far everything as per tests seems normal. I wish you all the best for your good health and appreciate your confidence in me.Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more and I will be glad to assist you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated, regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks doc. my wbc was 12000. is that bad? if it were cancer or anything serious , would i have more symptoms than just a little weight loss?

Thanks a lot for your input. 12000 is just near normal and this much difference from normal can be due to lab error so there is nothing to worry about this. Regarding cancer i would say that you should not even think of it because weight loss in cancer is associated with primary symptoms of cancer which you don't have. Moreover weight loss in cancer is due to loss of appetite and other problems like frequent vomiting or diarrhea so cancer is not your case. Please don't stress yourself, i give you my words :). Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more and I will be glad to assist you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated, regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks doc. One last question. If it were hiv or leukemeia would my blood test be abnormal. I have no reason to think hiv , but it is still in the back of my mind. I have not lived reckless or anything. I was just wondering.

You are welcome. Yes ofcourse, in HIV or leukemia your blood test would have been abnormal. So HIV or leukemia is out of question. Just relax and enjoy your life.

please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more and I will be glad to assist you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated, regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou Doc. You have helped me more than you know. Have a great day.

Thank you so much to you too for having faith in me. Regard
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey doc , one more question. My fasting glucose was 108. Is that real bad?

James if you have got one such reading, you need not to worry but should get this checked again along with HBA1c. This will tell you that what was your sugar control in last three months and if these readings are normal then you don't need to worry. But first step is to get one more reading before meal. But this reading of 108 is not that bad. Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more and I will be glad to assist you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated, regards.