Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

2 weeks ago, I had this pack of beansprout, it gave me severe

2 weeks ago, I had this pack of beansprout, it gave me severe stomach pain that night. Since then, I have pain almost every single night as soon as I finish dinner, regardless of whatever I eat, from having a dinner with simply vegetables, to rice to pasta. The pain could be so unbearable that I feel like vomiting or going to the loo (diarrhea symptoms), I tried taking in those calcium carbonate magnesium peels, to dilute the suspected excess acid in my stomach, but they do not work. A number of sleepless nights, will have to wait until the early morning when the feeling fade away, please let me know what I should do, would be so grateful!

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hello

Mysticdoc :

Thanks for you question.

Mysticdoc :

Severe stomach pain can be caused by the peptic ulcer disease.

Mysticdoc :

Ulcers can be found in the stomach or in the duodenum ( first part of small intestine).

Mysticdoc :

Another possibility can be gallbladder problem like gallstones.

Mysticdoc :

This will cause pain with meals.

Mysticdoc :

Acute pancreatitis or inflammation of the pancreas is another possibility.

Mysticdoc :

Pancreas is the major digestive organ.

Mysticdoc :

Severe gastritis or inflammation of the stomach lining is a common cause of these symptoms.

Mysticdoc :

Over the counter Omeprazole tablets are more powerful and may be helpful in gastritis and ulcer disease.

Mysticdoc :

Bland diet is preferred --low fat content.

Mysticdoc :

However, you should see your GP for clinical evaluation.

Mysticdoc :

Abdominal ultrasound should be considered to rule out gall bladder problem.

Mysticdoc :

Blood tests like liver enzymes, amylase can be checked to rule out any pancreatitis.

Customer:

The pain mainly appears at night time, and doesn't make a difference if I lay down or site straight,
You suggest ulcer disease, but Im not sure whether it could have gone so suddenly, as in no symptoms 2 weeks ago

Mysticdoc :

Severe gastritis and ulcer disease can start suddent as so do other conditions.

Customer:

I am also suspecting whether it could be anything to do with food poisoning, since i had the beansprout 2 weeks ago

Mysticdoc :

Since you have not tried any strong acid suppressant, that should be considered--Omeprazole for example.

Mysticdoc :

Even if you had food poisoning, this should have passed by now --but that can cause severe inflammation of the stomach lining.

Mysticdoc :

This may take some time to heal.

Customer:

so would you suggest I go for stronger acid suppressant, or should i get medication that is more related to ulcer issues, or should I go to see a GP and undergo a thorough checking? As I don't see the pain is fading anytime soon, also my alteration to my diet in the past weeks didn't seem to have given me much improvement

Mysticdoc :

Strong acid suppressant is the same medication used to heal the ulcers.

Mysticdoc :

Omeprazole is one such example.

Mysticdoc :

You should see your Gp for a thorough examination as I suggested above.

Mysticdoc :

The medication can be started then.

Customer:

If my stomach pain is a healing period from my previous suspected food poisoning, should I take any medication?

Mysticdoc :

yes you should.

Mysticdoc :

Omeprazole is good.

Mysticdoc :

Sucralfate also can be added.

Customer:

this could sound really weird, but my sister has been experiencing stomach pain for a few weeks as well, could our pain be an inherit illness?

could my psychological feeling send me a message that my pain is more severe than I am actually experiencing?

What will be the short term consequences if such pain persist? As I am having an exam ahead, im not sure how to handle this situation in a way, as Im not sure whether the exam nerve is giving me the pain... Sorry for asking such silly questions, but i have been thinking about these in the past 2 weeks

Mysticdoc :

no this is not inherited.

Mysticdoc :

anxiety can make you feel like that.

Mysticdoc :

the consequences can be worsening of the pain, inability to eat if the underlying problem is not addressed.

Mysticdoc :

That is why you should visit to your GP just to be sure.

Mysticdoc :

Omeprazole will likely help your cause.

Customer:

As i have been persuading myself that this pain could have been a psychological thing, and hence I havent seek a GP help yet. After receiving your advice, I shall visit my GP tomorrow, sorry for the silly questions, was just still struggling whether I should forget about the pain and wait till it gets better or gets worst...

Customer:

Thank you very much!

Mysticdoc :

do not worry.

Mysticdoc :

Very welcome

Mysticdoc :

My pleasure to help you out.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/