Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I had a stool test in November, 2012. Nothing was found. 2

I had a stool test in November, 2012. Nothing was found. 2 weeks ago my doctor called me and said that they found endolimax nana cysts, and that I should try to take metronidazole for 14 days. I am still having symptoms (waking up every morning with stomach pain) - not sure it is from E. Nana? Should I take the pills for 14 days or get another stool test since it is 5 months ago that they took it? Thanks!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

Internal medicine internship in NYC with two decades of clinical experience. I am online and available to assist you today.

RickMD :

Since it has been 5 months are you are still having symptoms, not only would I suggest another stool test but also a more comprehensive GI workup, preferably by a gastroenterologist.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Ok, perfect, so I should go to a specialist (and not my primary doctor that found it 5 months later)

Customer:

What is a GI-workup?

RickMD :

Oops....I think I misunderstood you...I thought it has been 5 months since the cysts were found.

RickMD :

a GI work up is a complete evaluation of your GI tract...from your mouth to anus.

Customer:

No it was, but he found the document 5 months later. So I was diagnosed in November, but he told me in April

RickMD :

Nice :(

Customer:

yes, not optimal

RickMD :

In that case, I'd go ahead with the 14 days of metronidazole.

Customer:

the GI evaluation, does that involve surgery?

RickMD :

I guess that goes to prove that even doctors are human and make mistakes ;)

RickMD :

No.....no surgery.

Customer:

of course, I'm not mad, just want to be sure that I am not taking medicine for something that cannot live in me for 5 months (not sure what the e. nano lifespan is?)

RickMD :

Give the medicine a try. If it works, you are saved a big workup. If it doesn't all you have lost is 14 days which in the scheme of things is nothing at this point.

RickMD :

Ya...it could infect you for this long....

Customer:

ok, so first step - medicine or another stool test?

Customer:

just to be sure :)

RickMD :

If I were in your shoes, I'd just go with the medicine.

RickMD :

It was found on one stool test...no need to look again.

Customer:

ok, thanks so much

Customer:

have a good day

RickMD :

My pleasure. Good luck to you.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

thanks

RickMD :

you too :)

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
David,

For some reason I found my thoughts turning toward you and your case of the missing report....How did things go with the metronidazole treatment?

I hope your symptoms are gone now :)

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you in the future. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick MD FACS