Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

My father had a ct scan from a chronic and increasing pain

My father had a ct scan from a chronic and increasing pain in his side. At one point a doctor stated it was either a tumor or hernia. The cat scan showed no signs of anything on his side but caught a glimpse of his lung. There were a couple of black spots on his lung. They then did a full ct scan of his lungs. One lung showed black spots and fluid. The next visit was to a lung doctor. The lung doctor could not determine what the spots were but ordered a biopsy. The lung was also drained. They drained 2 liters from his lung. Waiting on the biopsy. He has never smoked but is farmer and construction worker. He has had a cough mostly from the fluid and has been in tremendous pain. The draining of the fluid yesterday has resulted in some relief but obviously there is pain from all the trauma. Outside of cancer, are there any other possibilities?
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this excellent question

I'm sorry to hear about your father

Definitely other possibilities

Did he have any signs of infection?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He had a slight fever off and on for several weeks... Feeling poor but gradually over time.. The main symptom was pain in side and increasing cough. He did run low grade fever off and on
Thanks Charmaine.

Infection would be a very common cause of this

The fluid or effusion related to the infection could be a cause

This could be viral, bacterial or fungal.

Tuberculosis

Fungal infections like histoplasmosis

Even things like rheumatoid arthritis or other autoimmune diseases can cause this.

So cancer is a common cause but there are many other things that can cause it.

A positive rating from you is the only way I am credited for my work. Please don’t click “bad” or “poor” service as this leaves negative feedback for me. If you aren’t 100% satisfied or have follow-up questions, click “reply” instead.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would infection cause black spots on lungs?
Yes, it definitely could Charmaine

Infection could show up as black spots on the scans
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If it is a fungal infection, for example, what would be the treatment and what is typically the prognosis? My father is 70, but in extremely good health. He works 50 hours a week in construction type work and plays volleyball. Of course, because of continued delays in diagnosis, he has suffered for 4 weeks which as made him weak.
The treatment would be antibiotics aimed at the specific fungus, bacteria, etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Any other comments you would have about anything I might need to consider with treatment or other potential diagnosis.
Thanks Charmaine

At this point, his workup seems quite appropriate.

Draining the fluid and awaiting analysis is key

He is also hooked up with a lung specialist which is very important.

I completely agree with the plan and workup so far.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One last question....how much pain should he e in after draining of the lung? Could it still be painful after a day or two?
yes, definitely it could be.

Pain is normal

Redness, swelling or signs of infection is not