Dr M
Dr M, Doctor
Experience:  MD at large academic center with experience in General Medicine, Pediatrics and Adult and Child Neurology.

I have been eating lot of vegetables, chicken and fish, every

I have been eating lot of vegetables, chicken and fish, every 3 hours for the past few months
I have lost a lot of weight, and have more energy than ever!

However, I am finding that i am getting very hungry at about the 2 hour mark after eating
Is this due to my metabolism being fast?
If so, does that means that when i am hungry, my insulin levels are down, and it is ok to eat again?

I have read that it takes about 3-3.5 hours for insulin levels to go down, but if my metabolism is fast, does the insulin levels go down faster to?

Is it better to eat when i am hungry, or, to wait every 3 hours like i have been for optimum health and weight loss

Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr M replied 1 year ago.

Dr M :

**Everything we say here will be absolutely confidential unless you tell me you plan to harm yourself or others**

Customer:

No problem

Dr M :

Hi! It sounds like you've been eating a healthy diet and reaching your weight loss goals, which as long as your are taking in enough calories to be healthy, is great! In terms of your questions about the insulin-- this actually isnt based on the speed of your metabolism. Your body first releases insulin within the first few minutes of your meal; the amount released being based on the amount of glucose, or simple sugars, in your meals. Thereafter the release is based on your body's blood sugar level. Basically your body is trying to keep your blood glucose normal. The higher glucose peaks form your meal should start to decrease after 30 minutes, which means less and less insulin is released after that point, unless your glucose remains high (typically only occurs in diabetics, or people with other insulin resistence)

Dr M :

So; whether you eat every 3 hours or not won't change all that much about your insulin levels, etc-- you are likely feeling hungry because the types of food you are eating arent as filling as foods you have had in the past. Some people watching their diet try to trick their satiety (or "fullness") center in their brains by eating a small amount of a more filling snack, like a spoonful of peanut butter; or healthy snacks that you can eat a lot of (or "extra" in the time between 3 hr intervals if you want to stick to this)-- these are things like celery, blueberries, apples, etc... you can add extra intake without much in the way of calories, and keep your hunger at bay. This is actually healthy in terms of your metabolism as well, as it keeps it at a constant, steady rate throughout the day; similar to what you are doing more or less with the every three hour regimen

Dr M :

Sorry to be wordy! Does that answer your question at all?

Customer:

No thats ok, the more information the better!

Customer:

SO if I eat healthy food more often, I assume that will boost my metabolism. What im worried about is how much of the food will get turned to fat

Customer:

So the conclusion i have is that I can eat when im hungry, just try and have a gap after the meal so the insulin goes down, (to not store fat from what i eat)

Dr M :

Got it; so that's exactly right, that you will continue to boost your metabolism even if you have sneak in a little extra in between intervals. The amount that gets converted into fat will depend on what it is you are eating; the main culprit being anything that breaks down to simple sugars-- this will all be converted into fat eventually, whether it be from the starches in potatatoes, to bread, to a shot or liquor or a beer; lean meats like chicken and fish, vegetables, and fruit have very little in the way of simple sugars, with the exception of some of the sweeter fruit. Yeah, I think that conclusion makes sense, you want to give your body time to normalize. Just one second, I'm going to find you a link to a lecture on youtube by a guy who explains the conversion to fat in your body better than most!! (Its an interesting one I promise)

Dr M :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM If it doesnt work, you can search the term "sugar: the bitter truth" by Dr. Lustig. Only if you are interested.

Dr M :

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Customer:

Thats a great response. Thankyou very much for your reply

Customer:

Ill be watching this video shortly

Customer:

actually

Customer:

one more question

Dr M :

shoot!

Customer:

if my metabolism is "high", does that mean that simple sugars will have less of an effect on my overall body fat %?

Customer:

than if my metabolism was low?

Dr M :

It's a bit of a hard thing to explain, but basically someone with a high metabolism is better at using their food as fuel, and breaking things down, or "catabolizing", whereas someone with a slower metabolism might store things more, have a harder time breaking them down into smaller molecules that your bodies cells can use as fuel and thus a hard time losing weight. This is modifiable somewhat, but also has a lot to do with genetics (either fortunately or unfortunately). So generally, yes they will effect your overall body fat less, but not because your body deals with the sugars and differently from a scientific standpoint, but more because it does it more quickly and efficiently. Does that make sense?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

thats what i thought

Customer:

excellent

Customer:

Thanks for your answers!

Dr M :

Great- no problem! I'll exit the chat but feel free to send along a question any time! :)

Customer:

Will do

Customer:

thanks again!

Dr M :

of course

Dr M, Doctor
Experience: MD at large academic center with experience in General Medicine, Pediatrics and Adult and Child Neurology.