Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Hey doc, I got my lipid panels back today and

Hey doc,
I got my lipid panels back today and my cholesteral was 224. Is this bad for my age?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

this is a bit high for a total cholesterol

however, what is more important is your LDL, HDL, and your triglyceride levels.

do you have those levels?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no. all i know id my ldl was 140.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you want to target your LDL levels to less than 130

from the math, your HDL should be 94 which is good.

you need to find your triglyceride levels. which should be less than 150

this is a good website with good information

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-blood-cholesterol/DS00178/DSECTION=tests-and-diagnosis

at your age, of 33, I suspect you are not at risks for heart diseae at this point.

you should exercise and watch your diet and eat more whole oats and fiber and vegitables

and your cholesterol should get better.

let me know if you have other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doc I have been having a little dull pain right under my left pec kinda to the side. It just started a few days ago. I am pretty good shape and im not to overweight. I am 6ft tall and I weight about 218. Is there anyway this could be related to my pancreas?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, this doesn't sound like it is from your pancreas.

sounds like it is much more likely to be from stomach inflammation or gastritis which is right under your left pectoralis and under your left lower ribs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is pancreatic cancer rare? and could this be ibs. i was diagnosed with this when i was a kid, but i haven't had any bouts with it since i was a teenager. i am just going through this phase right now worrying about cancer. I hope this is just a short term problem.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, pancreatic cancer is rare, especially in your age group.

your pain under your left chest and ribs could be IBS, but more likely stomach.

dont' let your worries about cancer get the better of you.

if you continue to have excessive worry, you should talk to your doctor about some counseling or medication which might help your anxiety symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Doc.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hey doc. I have also noticed lately, that I have lost a little weight. This kinda worries me, because I have always heard that when you stop using tobacco that you gain weight. My weight is fluctuating alot. I weighed 223 about 2 months ago when I quit and now I weigh about 217. Should I be concerned about this?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, you shouldn't be worried that weight loss is due to cancer.

your anxiety could be causing you to eat less

you should take this opportunity to eat more healthy, exercise and continue your weight loss to get more fit and healthy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is it normal for weight to fluctuate around 5 to 7 lbs? Do you think I would have more symptoms other than a little weight loss, if it was something serious like cancer?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, it is normal for your weight to fluctuate.

you don't have cancer.

yes, you would have many more symptoms than weieght loss if you have cancer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Doc. I have never been like this before. Do you think all this worrying is a phase? Do you think I should see a shrink? I really want to beat this w/out medication. I don't wanna be dependent on any think else. Is it normal for people to go through alot of changes after quitting the habit?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I think you should see a doctor or a psychiatrist because of all of this worrying.

I don't think it is a phase.

it is a common anxiety disorder.

you should talk to a doctor about cognitive behavior therapy which can help your anxiety

don't think about taking medication as being dependent on it, but you are using medicaiton to treat a medical condition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for all of your help. I am going to try to exercise and pray for a while and see if this helps. I really appreciate all of your help and advice. I am really happy that I am free of tobacco and I am going to work hard on getting free of the worrying. Thanks again

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
best of luck to you

I hope you stay off of smoking as well.

don't be afraid to seek medical help and counseling for your anxiety disorder.

there is no shame in that.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician