Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

when is the coldsore virus present in saliva?

Customer Question

at what times is the coldsore virus present in saliva?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

The majority of adults carry the HSV 1 (cold sore virus) The majority of the time there would NOT be virus present in the saliva...

Anthony Bray MD :

If you have an axctive cold sore then there would be virus present in the saliva...

Anthony Bray MD :

The problem is that as the cold sore becomes active the shedding of virus begins to occur BEFORE you develop a mouth or lip ulcer... so this makes it hard to predict with certainty...

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that this information is helpful for you!

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank You and Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
someone was talking to me and I believe a speck of their saliva touched my lip and they are known to get coldsores, so I was wondering If I contracted the virus or will get the virus?

Hello!

Based on this >> Probably NOT! The person even IF they have a tendency to have cold sores would not be active most of the time. The chances would be relatively slim that you would have contracted this from this one potential exposure.Exact odds > I don't know but I would say less than 1%....

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions!

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is it safe to say that if i don't see a coldsore pop up on this person within a week then they pretty much wasn't contageous?

what is the most common way someone gets a coldsore?

is it relatively hard to get a coldsore?

Hello again!

Yes if the person has no outbreak of cold sores in the next week then this should further add to you being SAFE with regard to this potential exposure!

Most common way of transmission would be kissing...

It is not that hard to get a cold sore.. about 90% of adult population has the virus (would test positive for antibodies) and may on occasion develop cold sores...some people more susceptible to outbreaks of these than others...

I hope this helps!

Let me know if you should have further questions!

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks

You are very welcome!

Take care!!

Anthony Bray MD