Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Hi I have a question about brain health. As in I need to understand

Hi I have a question about brain health. As in I need to understand how much if any brain damage occured?. I took MDMA many times with occasional large dose about 6 years ago?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning. I am online and available to assist you today.

Have you taken any MDMA in the last 6 years?

Do you, or have you taken any other drugs?

Do you have any medical problems or take any prescribed medication?

What type of problems did you have 6 years ago?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I haven't taken any drugs for 6 years. But I went through a period of about 7-8 months of intermittent use of MDMA before this. Some doses were high. I did take other drugs at the time.

I have had mental health problems since childhood: My diagnosis is complex trauma and I've experienced periods of depression although this has been under control for a while now. I take no medication.

The types of problems I encountered at the time: Concentration problems, loss of short term memory. These have gone now to an extent but there's no way to measure before and after.

Thank you for the extra information.

From what you have posted, I do not think you have suffered any irreversible damage to your brain from your past use of MDMA.

As you have already stated the mind is able to do an excellent job of repairing issues that do not cause a significant loss of gray matter. A

The good news? At this point I do not believe you have to do anything or undergo any special treatment to mitigate any possible issues. If you just stay away from MDMA from now on you should be fine.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks. One concern I had was that my natural serotonin levels may have decreased. Which can be a cause of mood disorders and depression.

Also again I'm not sure if it was due to drug use but I feared my comprehension speed of written text might have been affected long term.

Is there any way to measure whether my serotonin levels are natural compared to other people who haven't used drugs?

Thanks

As far as I know, there is no test available to check serotonin levels.

That being said, clinically, low serotonin levels are easily treated today with medications called SSRIs, such as Citalopram, Paroxeine, Escitalopram and others.

If you think your natural serotonin levels are low I would just ask your MD to start you on one of theses SSRIs and see how you feel after about 3 weeks.

Does this make sense to you?

If you don't mind, please mash the positive feedback button for me :)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC