Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

While be injected with lidocaine and depomedrol for a left

While be injected with lidocaine and depomedrol for a left occipital nerve block, I immediately had a stroke induced coma. I am 50, in perfect health. It was an Ischemic infarct. Thrombus in situ, embolus, clotting disorder and hypotension were ruled out as a cause. I was told that the mixture was directly inserted into the occopital artery, the depomedrol is a particulate, which means it can't fit in the artery so it caused the stroke. One other doctor says is was a coincidence, or maybe a vasospasm. Any thoughts?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : I would think the brain MRI would make it clear if this stroke were caused by the injection....
Anthony Bray MD : the distribution of the area of brain affected would correspond to the artery related to the cause...
Anthony Bray MD : if it ere
Anthony Bray MD : If it were in the distribution of the ni
Anthony Bray MD : middle cerebral artery then this would NOT be consitent with direct cause of the stroke being the cause...
Anthony Bray MD : If however the distribution of your stroke IS consitent with the occipital artery being the cause then this would strongly support the shit being the cause.. Z
Anthony Bray MD : I think the timing died sound very suspicious for the shot being the cause...
Anthony Bray MD : a direct shot to this artery would be probable to cause such an event... I would more strongly suspect the shot as the cause than it being a coincidence...
Anthony Bray MD : You may want to have an independent neurologist review your medical records and brain CTs , MRI's and if you had one the MRA of the brain. I think these would tell the story....
Anthony Bray MD : Sorry for typos above...
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this information helps!
Customer:

the needle was still in my neck when the sroke & coma happened.

Anthony Bray MD : Let me know if you have further questions, information or discussion...
Anthony Bray MD : I see -- this sounds very consistent with the shot being the cause if your stroke and coma then...
Anthony Bray MD : Still I think that the objective evidence of the stroke area is important to you from a medico-legal standpoint....
Anthony Bray MD : It sound to me that you should have both legal coagulation as well as independent review from an independent neurologist...
Customer:

the stroke and coma happenend while it was still in my neck. I am dealing with workman's comp...a nightmare, he says the shot had nothing to do with the stroke. My current Neurologist feels that it was the cause of the stroke. How can you possible fight this doctor who did this, no one else was there.

Customer:

Unless by autopsy...

Anthony Bray MD : I hope that this information is helpful to you! Let me know if you have further questions or discussion!
Anthony Bray MD : If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. This would be very much appreciated. Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD : Like I said the doctor performing the procedure may certainly deny fault!!! This may be potentially proven as cause by the timing plus location of the damage area of the brain. This area of damage is shown by the imaging studies of the brain such as the MRI!!! No autopsy is required to prove reasonably what happened....
Anthony Bray MD : I would advise that you consult lawyer and an independent neurologist ( if your neurologist supports the shot being the cause then you would be a vitom of mm
Anthony Bray MD : victim of malpractice and would stand to reason that you should be entitled to compensation....
Anthony Bray MD : you HAVE to get out if the loop or workman's comp however as they may not be your advocate !!!
Anthony Bray MD : The medical record and the objective evidence would be there to refute the doctor that did the procedure....
Anthony Bray MD : You definitely would be wise to pursue this investigation... As I said you need a doctor and lawyer that would be on YOUR side of the issue...there would naturally be opposing legal and medical forces in this situation... The doc responsible would hire defense lawyer and they would naturally try to argue against it being his fault even though this may be the case....
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this helps you! I'm sorry to hear that you have had such a disastrous experience. I hope that you are recovering well!
Anthony Bray MD : lLet me know if you have any further questions!!
Anthony Bray MD : Best Regards!
Customer:

Any thought on the cause being a vasospasm? I have a lawyer on the workman's comp case and a good neurologist. Trying to get attorneys on east coast for Med Mal.

Hello again,

I think that it could be potential cause via either theory-- vaso spasm induced by shot OR the potential for the particulate matter in the Depo-medrol.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice