Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Hi, I noticed my body temp usually falls much below the normal

Hi, I noticed my body temp usually falls much below the normal 36.6 C. especially when I am tired. I sometimes get as low as 35.6 C. even when the climate is warm (it happened in summer!) I have very dry skin even though my face is concidered more oily. I have brittle and thin hair that falls and has made me almost bared inthe centre of my head. I also have trouble regulating my blood pressure. I don't have problem with my blood sugar or cholestrol, but recently I have been uric acid level elavated.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

Using the Farenheit scale>> normal body temperature is a range from 98.6 plus of minus 1.3 degrees....

Anthony Bray MD :

The tendancy to have a low body temp, fatigue, dry skin and brittle hair all sound suspicious for possibble hypothyroidism as a potential cause...

Anthony Bray MD :

So I would advise that you ask your doctor to run blood tests to check your thyroid function...

Anthony Bray MD :

The elevated uric acid is probably a separate issue....

Anthony Bray MD :

If you have history or symptoms of gout or kidney stones then this may need need to be treated but medical treatment with medication is not indicated for only high blood levels with no problems...

Customer:

Hello, the temperature I mention is in centigrade. I am not very used to convert to Farenheit

Anthony Bray MD :

OK! Hold on and I will calculate this conversion for you!! (I'm not very used to doing that either!!)

Anthony Bray MD :

Degrees C = 5/9 (Degrees F - 32 degrees) so......

Customer:

Talking about blood test could you give me specific test I should ask for hypothyroidsm. I don't have kidney stones but I got a gout attack which is now under control . I now take daily zyloric

Anthony Bray MD :

OK TSH plus T4 and T3 is what I would advise...

Anthony Bray MD :

98.6 F = 37.0 C

Anthony Bray MD :

I see >> yes that should help tokeep your uric acid level down and prevent future gout attacks as well as uric acid kidney stones...

Customer:

I remember that the last time I had T4 and T3 and I think also TSH, the results where very good according to the doctor. I also suspected hypothyroidsm despite these

Anthony Bray MD :

The lower value of your Temp in degrees C (35.6 ) = 96.1 degrees F

Anthony Bray MD :

How long has that been ??

Customer:

About 2 years

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes I would advise that they be checked again....

Anthony Bray MD :

Your set of symptoms do seem VERY suspicious for hypothyroidism BUT it is possible that there are other reason(s) for these too....

Customer:

Ok. The TSH though I cannot if it had the plus at the end. Are they different?

Customer:

I think it simply says TSH

Anthony Bray MD :

?? High TSH = thyroid stimulating Hormone = controlling hormone from pituitary gland >> this is higher then normal range (0.4 to 4.5) when the thyroid is UNDER-ACTIVE....

Anthony Bray MD :

High TSH means that your body is HUNGRY for more production of T3 and T4...

Customer:

You said TSH plus, is it different from just TSH? What other reasons do you think may account for tis temperature issue?

Anthony Bray MD :

Oh no ... I meant only that you should have the TSH in addition to T3 and T4...

Anthony Bray MD :

Well the temperature being low can be due to different potential causes ... this alone may not have a specific cause found if not due to thyroid.. it can be associated with increased age, slower metabolism in general, changes of the function of the hypothalamus... poor nutition can be a cause....

Anthony Bray MD :

Balding hair pattern may be treated with combination of OTC topical Rogaine plus Rx for oral Propecia IF you desired to treat that...

Customer:

I will definetely do the tests as soon as possible. It is quite annoying to have to switch on the heater and drinking something hot while everybody are feeling quite confortable with the room temperature! Secondly where do I get this combination of OTC for my balding hair pattern?

Anthony Bray MD :

Pharmacy carries over the counter Rogaine but ask your doctor if you wish to use the combination that includes the oral medication Propecia (this latter is by preciption only)

Anthony Bray MD :

The combination has been shown to be more effective than either alone and may help a significant proportion of men with this problem but does not have 100% success either... about 70% see improvement...

Customer:

Thanks a lot for your assistance. I will follow your advice and ask my doctor to see from this perpective

Anthony Bray MD :

OK ! You are very welcome!

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if you should have further questions...

Anthony Bray MD :

I will be happy to get back with you!

Customer:

Thanks a lot. Is it possible for me to ask especially for you?

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated.!

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes you may either address question to me>> Dr. Bray Or may go to my page which is http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-anthonybraymd/

Anthony Bray MD :

Thank you and Best Regards!!

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

Of course!! Thanks once more. I will also visit your page. Regards.

Anthony Bray MD :

Take Care!!

Customer:

Bye

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice