Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

I am a 20-year-old female. Over the past 2 months ive had

Customer Question

I am a 20-year-old female. Over the past 2 months i've had bloody stool (on and in the stool and maroonish coloured) and some blood in my urine in-between periods. I went to my doctor and he did a blood test and said it was normal. Just over the past 2 weeks the bleeding has gotten more frequent and I've developed a headache that won't go away and I've been really tired. It this something to worry about?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,

Did you have the test for stool for occult blood ?
what are your haemoglobin levels?
is the blood in stools still present?
did you have the physical exam by doctor done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not have an occult blood test. There was so much blood that the doctor said I didn't need one. The blood is still present and it's becoming more frequent. The doctor did not do a physical exam, but he called saying the blood test was normal. I'm not sure what my haemoglobin levels are.

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,

Thank you for the information,

The blood in stools may be due to various causes like haemorrhoids, colon polyps, colitis, anal fissures, colon cancer, diverticular disease etc.

You should definitely have the physical examination done by doctor/surgeon and know the underlying cause.Sometimes colonoscopy may be required to know the source of bleeding.The treatment is according to the underlying cause and surgery may be required in some cases.The haemoglobin levels should be checked as well.

Commonly haemorrhoids may cause the bleeding and you should get these checked by the doctor/surgeon.

The treatment is according to the underlying cause.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Thank you
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I went to a walk-in clinic at a local hospital. The doctor performed a rectal exam and didn't feel any hemorrhoids and said that the test showed no blood on the glove or whatever it was that was put there. So my question is what could it be then? He scheduled no other tests. Are there times when bloody stools just happen on occasion?

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,

The blood in stools may sometimes be associated with colitis as well.Meanwhile if there are no symptoms now you may just watch and periodically check your haemoglobin levels.

If the symptoms reappear then we should have the colonoscopy done to know any underlying hidden pathology.

Here is the link for more information

colitis causes and symptoms

Thank you