Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Hi,I posted about a week ago and now I have a bit more

I posted about a week ago and now I have a bit more data so I am going to repost and start fresh. I am coming for one last expert opinion.

I have a headache history but in each case I could contribute it to something.

16 days ago I started to present with headaches throughout the day that I thought were related to a course of cyclobenzaprine. They sometimes responded to tylenol, sometimes didnt.

12 days ago the headaches started to get worse and I began becoming a bit sensitive to the sunlight and inside flourescent lighting.

10 days ago I went to bed with persistent nagging headaches that were completely unresponsive to tylenol.

Headaches continue off and on over the most recent 10 days. I have gone a couple of random days with only very slight head sensations that didnt require medicine.

However, the sensitivity to light is making me extremely anxious.

5 days ago I went to see an ER doctor who did a full neurological exam and said I was fine, gave me a shot of Toradol to help break the cycle. He also gave me Tylenol #3 which I took at night and woke up the next day actually feeling ok.

3 days ago I saw a family doctor who also did a full neurological exam and said I was fine and said to do massage therapy as this was tension headaches.

Yesterday I saw a neurologist who did a full neurological exam, asked me alot of questions and said this was tension type headaches and felt an MRI was not necessary at all. She prescribled amitrypline.

I pulled out my medical records and noticed that I had an MRI of Brain (no contrast) on July 5, 2012. (roughly 8 months ago) It noted in the impression- Essentially normal non infused study of the brain, no explanation of the patients headaches noted.

My biggest issue now is that the lights are really making me full lightheaded and I cannot see the relation to that and tension type headaches. My right shoulder does feel a bit tense like I could use a masssage. I cannot get brain tumor out of my mind though... The headaches may have been improved since day 1 as they are not as day inhibiting as before, but still are almost daily. They appear to occur in all different parts of the head, especially in the temporal area and in the back of head. Also I get this wierd feeling at the top of my head every now and then. Not a headaches, but a sorta, senstation that I want to rub or massage and goes away.

Give me some wise words of advice, some medical words of advice.
From what you have posted I very much doubt that you have a brain tumor.

As a person who has suffered with migraines for over 3 decades I can fully understand what you are going though as I have experienced these things myself.

It sounds like you would benefit from another opinion, if for no other reason then to know that you have left no stone unturned. Have you considered going to a University Teaching Program and being evaluated by a Professor of Neurology?

Why travel to a large University Teaching hospital? Because at an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

When all is said and done I think you will leave the University with the same diagnosis but would then have the comfort of knowing, with 110% certainty, that there is nothing else going on.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS