Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Hi Doctor, I lacerated and incurred a "tuft" fracture of my

Customer Question

Hi Doctor, I lacerated and incurred a "tuft" fracture of my distal phalange of my right pinkie finger two weeks ago, on Sunday 24th March 2013. I receive five stitches to a deep laceration of the touch pad of my pinkie. Currently I still incur pins and needles in the laceration area of my pinky. It may be nerve damage. Will the pins and needles sensation disappear with time? Please advise? Kind regards Francois
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Francois,

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

That is an excellent question and the answer depends on many things, the most important one of which is how much damage the nerve had.

The fact that you can feel anything at all is a good sign that the nerve is not completely destroyed. Once this happens, as you know, nerve function can never return.

That being said, from what you have posted -- and seeing as it has only been a few weeks since your injury -- I believe you have a very good chance that, at least some, normal feeling will return to the area.

How long will this take? I tell patients that what nerve function they are left with 6 months after an injury like yours is probably going to be the amount of function they can expect for the rest of their lives.

So. What is the take home message here? Relax. Give things more time to heal and try not to worry.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr Rick. That is assuring feedback I will use as a guide. Appreciate your professional opinion. Francois

Francois,

My pleasure. I hope you heal up fast :)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr Rick, how well do "tuft" (splinter) fractures of the distal phalange pinkie fingers heal. I am told by orthopaedic surgeons that the distal finger tissue usually acts as a natural splint and can draw the bone splinters back to the original (base) phalange where they fuse again or else fibrotic tissue forms between the splinters and "parent" phalange bone. Operative procedure is seldom necessary and I have been advised not to wear the splint for long as the tendons around the distal joint between the distal phalange and next phalange can be affected (temporary or permanent) weakness. The injury is painful though and I wear the splint to protect the finger from bumping it and resultant pain. Your view please?

Francois,

While this is not my specialty I took the liberty of calling my good friend who has been practicing orthopedic surgery for over three decades.

He has informed me (and hopefully he won't want half of what I get if you mash the excellent feedback button lol!) that what you have been told is absolutely correct. Furthermore, he feels that wearing the splint during the times when you would be prone to bumping you finger will not cause any problems.

So. The take home message? You have been given good advice and need not worry.

Thanks for requesting me :)