Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,30 years of experience

My son, who is 42 years old, is going through a very acrimonious

Customer Question

My son, who is 42 years old, is going through a very acrimonious divorce. His wife left the home, with the two children at the beginning of Dec 2012. He has a very stressful job, and it is particularly hard going at the moment due to year end. He has been finding it very difficult to sleep at night and I have often come down stairs to find him working. This has been going on since I came over at the end of December. Since Sunday he has been sleeping a lot and yesterday was unable to go to work and slept almost all day. This morning he left for work but returned after about 4 hours. As far as I can ascertain he got part way to work, fell asleep at the station whilst awaiting his train, couldn't face going to work and returned home, instantly fell asleep and then went to bed; where he is at present. He has only had a bowl of soup and lots of cups of coffee within the past 24 hours. Please can you give me some advice? I am his mother.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.

Vakul Aren :

Thank you for your question.It appears that your son is going through a period of acute stress and emotional instability.This is reflected in his disturbed sleep pattern and loss of appetite.Does he have any medical problems too for which he is on any medication?

Customer:

No

Vakul Aren :

It would be prudent to reduce the stress by keeping regular hours,getting adequate sleep and exercise,spending time with family and friends.Reducing the workload or taking time off from the office may help.Prayer,meditiation,listening to music may help ease the stress .Seeking the help of a mental health professional /talking to your primary care doctor will help as he may need counselling and medication.

Customer:

Okay thank's for that. Could I possibly have a supplementary question at a later time in relation to this. He read what you said and thought it helpful, however he is having problems just trying to stop thinking about it all, and sleeping. He doesn't want to take medication as his wife is insisting he has blood and urine samples done every week in order to see his children. He doesn't want to compromise the tests.

Vakul Aren :

It would still help in talking to a professional therapist/counsellor and discussing his problems.There are bound to be some advice which he will find useful and helpful.Regular long and rambling walks or exercise will help reduce the stress and improve sleep.

Vakul Aren :

Taking time off from work will help reduce stress further .

Customer:

Okay I take on board what you say and I think it most helpful. Thank you

Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H,30 years of experience