Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

I had celiac biopsy testing done today through endoscopy and

I had celiac biopsy testing done today through endoscopy and was wondering I have not ate gluten for over a year. is the test very accurate if i have not consumed gluten for so long? As most of the damage from gluten should be reversed? Is there a way they can still diagnose it with the biopsy?

Vakul Aren :

Welcome to just answer,thank you for the excellent question.If you have eaten a gluten free diet for a long time, your tests like Immunoglobulin A(IgA),anti-tissue transglutaminase(tTGA) and anti-endomyesium antibody(AEA) will probably show a false positive result.Similarly,it is quite possible that the biopsy will show normal intestinal villi if you have been taking a gluten free diet for a long time.You may need to take a normal gluten containing diet for some time (gluten challenge)for the biopsy to show inflammation and changes seen in celiac disease.

Vakul Aren :

Sorry,the reply should read false negative results and not false positive .