Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Hi, my father is drinking listerine, but when ever questioned

Hi, my father is drinking listerine, but when ever questioned about he denies it, can a urine or blood test confirm the abuse?
I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

Listerine has menthol oils, thymol, methyl salicylate, eucalyptol and ethyl alcohol, usually 21%.

Other then the alcohol, none of these compounds are tested for in any medical laboratory.

It is possible that a research lab, a government lab such as the CDC or NIH or a criminal lab such as the FBI or CIA could manage to test for these other ingredients. But, as you can image this is something that would not be available to you or your fathers doctors.

So. What is the take home message? I do not thing testing for listerine consumption is possible.

I realized that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.
Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three faces, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS