Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Im a 230lb male, age 40. Recently noticed a vein? when touching

I'm a 230lb male, age 40. Recently noticed a vein? when touching my right torso, just north of diaphram and to the side (not near middle of torso). No pain, heat, very mild tenderness -- I think as a result of me palpating it obsessively. Seems to get more prominent when I palpate, but not visual. No other remarkable symptoms. Thx
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

How tall are you?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

Do you have any other symptoms?

Could you take a picture of it? If that is possible I can show you how to upload it here for my review. Make sure the picture is in focus.

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm 6ft tall. On lisinirpol for high BP; Lexapro and Klonopin for anxiety. I have contipation regularly (chew lots of gum). I do drink wine on regular basis. A don't think picture would show anything as vein? not visual just palpation do I notice it.

Joe,

Ok. I understand. It is more something you can feel rather than see.

From your post I believe you are feeling the normal intercostal muscles and tendons that are in this area. If you strain them they can become slightly tender for a time. I've actually experienced something like what you are talking about myself.

Since you are not having any other symptoms I do not believe you have anything to worry about. The best thing you can do at this point is to, as my wife is always telling me, stop picking at it :)

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great response (very empathetic) and I do recall picking up my child or straining and yelping recently. Since I drink more than I should I am sensitive to that area-but this is above diaphram and I learned the worriesome portal veins are south. Yes, I'm a hypochondriac with good reason :) Thanks so much. You were very good.

Just because your a hypochondriac doesn't mean you can't get sick ;-)

But, in this case, I think you will be fine.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Take care and have a good week :)
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC