Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Hi, I have been diagnosed a year and a half ago with PCOS and a mild insulin resistance. I have been dieting by cutting out carbs, and taking Glucophage.
I have repeated the test again and my results were:
Insuling fasting: 5.0 uU/ml
Glucose fasting: 4.9 mmol/L
Glucose 1 hr: 5.10 mmol/L
Glucose 2 hr: 3.94mmo/L
(oral glucose load quantit: 75)

My doctor says i am no longer insulin resistance, however I have hyperinsulinemia. Do I and am I at serious risk of Diabetes? What should I do, given that I have been on a low carb diet for one year and a half? Thanks!
Hi. I am online and available to assist you today. Thank you for your patience.

I am glad you have been dieting and, hopefully loosing weight. That is very important :)

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

Is anyone in your family a diabetic?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medication?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Although I have been dieting (exercising and cutting out all sugar and carbs), I have not lost any weight.

I am 1m57cm and about 73 kg.

There is no history of diabetes in my family.

Apart from PCOS I don't have any illnesses, however I am prone to hormonal unbalances ( i have had a myoma removed 5 years ago).

I had started taking Glucophage a year and a half ago, taking various doses (from 1500 up to 3000 at some point). I stopped taking it several months ago - I didn't feel comfortable taking a medication for such a long time and my doctor said I don't need it.

Also, I have been trying to get pregnant, unsuccessfully for a year and a half.

Thank you for that extra information.

Since you are having problems getting pregnant in addition to this possible diabetes issue, I think it is time to seek out another opinion and, possibly, additional testing. I suggest you consult with an endocrinologist.

If you wanted to leave no stone unturned, you might consider consulting with Professors of Medicine at a Large University Medical center.

Why a large University Teaching hospital? Because, at an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

I see you are in the UAE and medical care might be more difficult to get in your area than it is here in the USA. That being said, the King Fahad Hospital is on of the best in the word and is located in Fiyadh, Saudi Arabia.

Here is their webpage:

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have consulted with an endocrinologist, - he is the one who tested me. He tells me I am not prediabetic and have no disposition for diabetes at this time. All I want to know is if this is correct or not - based on the results I have sent you:

Insuling fasting: 5.0 uU/ml
Glucose fasting: 4.9 mmol/L
Glucose 1 hr: 5.10 mmol/L
Glucose 2 hr: 3.94mmo/L
(oral glucose load quantity: 75)

And whether I should take medication.

Unfortunately as a woman it is virtually impossible for me to travel to Saudi Arabia.

I completely understand about the problems being a woman in SA...I wonder if that will change in our lifetime...

Let me go over your results with you:

Insulin fasting is normal, although on the low end of normal.
Your fasting glucose is normal.
Your glucose at 1 hr is normal.
Your glucose at 2 hr is normal.

Your HgA1c was not given, although at this point it really isn't necessary.

So. What is the take home message concerning your lab results:

From just these results you do not have to take any medication and there is nothing to worry about :)

That being said, I would follow your doctors advice since she knows you best.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.