Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My girlfriend is having back pain. She always deals with minor

My girlfriend is having back pain. She always deals with minor lower back pain but she's having one of her worst episodes. 8 on a 1-10 scale. She puts up with a lot but this is different. She has a sharp pain in the lower center of her back, like a towel being wrung or a really bad shock and then it shoots up her back and makes her afraid to move. I am just wondering what the possible issues may be? She also stated she feels a small bump along her spine.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning. I am online and available to help you today.

What is your question?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is, given her stated symptoms, what could be causing that type of pain?
Dane,

That is a very good question. Pain like your girlfriend can be caused from many, many causes. It could be something as simple as a strained muscle or something as serious kidney problems, slipped disk, problem with an ovary etc.

I'm afraid that without being able to examine her, there is no way for me to give you an exact answer to your question.

That being said, I can help you by giving your advice on what to do...

Since here pain is so severe I firmly believe that her best option is to get in to a doctor for a full exam today. That way the cause of her pain can be figured out and she can be given medication to get rid of her pain.

I realized that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three faces, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, considering it's been on-going for years, just more severe as of recent, I feel some of your suggestions could be ruled out. She was a swimmer for quite sometime and she mentioned that was a cause of a lot of her distress. She has an appt tomorrow with her regular doctor, I am guessing an MRI or Xray is in order? She doesn't like taking medicine much to lessen the pain as it doesn't resolve the issue, however. I am just wondering what options are available to her to actually help this problem?
I would think an MRI would give more information at this point.

The options available to her, with the exception of just "covering up" the pain with strong drugs like narcotics (Which I, like her, wouldn't want to do either) is to do just what you have planned: A complete physical exam by her doctor.

Actually, being in a swimmer and good physical shape will make things better in the long run -- no matter what the cause ends up being.

Please give your girlfriend my very best. I hope she feels better soon.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Dane,

I was just thinking about your girlfriend and wondering what her doctor found on Monday.

I hope it is nothing serious and she is feeling better already.

Let me know if I can do anything else to help in the future

Dr Rick MD FACS