Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

i had a 4th and 5th metatarsal stress fracture of my left foot

i had a 4th and 5th metatarsal stress fracture of my left foot which i was told to wear an air cast so i could get around. I used the air cast for 6 weeks and didn't experience too much pain. I had an xray at 6 weeks which I was told by my dr that the xray showed that it was healing. It has been three weeks since i removed the air cast and have been walking without it. I am now in as much pain as I was in before I started using the air cast. Do you think I could have re-fractured it or does it take a long while for the pain to resolve? thanks
I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

Stress fractures can be painful for quite sometime...9 weeks is not out of the range where you could have pain.

Since a follow up xray showed that things are healing nicely, unless you did some excessive things with your foot like Olympic high jumping or running on pavement, I think you will be just fine.

I would try to limit how much you stress your foot (No high heels :) and just try to take it a bit easier for now. Also take some tylenol for pain and put ice packs on your aching foot.

If things are still hurting after you slow down a bit I would give your doctor a call and see what she thinks.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS