How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 11232
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Rick, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Lately my stool is dark green, Ive had discomfort in the upper

This answer was rated:

Lately my stool is dark green, I've had discomfort in the upper left side of my digestive system.
I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

How long have you had the discomfort?

Is it worse after you eat a fatty meal?

Do you have any other symptoms?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Had the discomfort for 3 years.
It's worse after I eat any meal.
I take 20mg of Crestor daily.
Blood pressure is 160/88 I take blood pressure medication.
Weight increase 10 lbs in last 8 months
Thank you for that extra information.

Green stool can come from many issues. The most common cause is stool moving through your GI tract too fast, causing the normally green colored bile to not have a enough time to break down. This makes your stool green.

Diet is another cause, with leafy veggies, iron pills, or food coloring in foods.

The fact that your pain is worse after a meal points to your gallbladder as a possible cause for your pain and stool color.

That being said, since you have had this issue for many years, I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief that your regular doctors have not yet been able to provide....

After three years of suffering I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD and 6 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you