Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I am 50, my wife is 38, its a second marriage for both of

I am 50, my wife is 38, it's a second marriage for both of us, I have 2 kids from my first marriage, she has no children. I've already had a vasectomy (in 2002) and we want to have a child. I'm prepared to have a reversal, but given financial; I'm concerned about the success of the operation and the impact of the amount of time that has passed since the operation. I will die first, and I don't want to leave her alone in her senior years. We've looked at adoption, but she'd prefer her own child. She's 38 so time is running out for her too, given the growing percentage of complications with age. On top of it all, we're both top professionals, so also live a very busy life so want a child asap. Can you suggest what is our most likely option to have a healthy baby?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

How long ago did you have your vasectomy?

Do you have any medical problem or take any medication?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I don't have any medical issues. In fact, I'm a senior officer in the military and am in top shape. I had the V in 2002, so 10 years ago...my concern is the time since the V, the likelihood of success I believe is roughly 50% at best. My concern is spending the money for the reversal, when the likelihood of success is beyond a reasonable risk. So my question includes other options for conception - before we consider adoption.

Am I correct that by other options, you want the child to come from your sperm?

My father was a Colonel in the Air force so I know all about Sr. Officers......and how tough they are on perfectly innocent teenage boys lol!
Norman,

As you already mentioned, success rates of V reversal are between 40 and 90%. The type of V you had, how long it has been and the experience of the surgeon doing the reversal all play a role in this number.

But, even if you are one of the lucky men in whom the reversal surgery works out that doesn't mean you will be able to father a child as your sperm counts may be low etc.

As you know, all surgery has risks. The first risk with V reversal is that it just might not work. You could also end up with chronic pain of the scrotum, formation of a sperm cyst/granuloma and, of course, infection or bleeding.

I am assuming that your wife has been examined and found to be able to ovulate and become pregnant....just thought to mention that :)

Here is what I suggest you do to have the best chance of fathering a child.

1. Choose a surgeon who has done a lot of vasectomy reversals. Make sure he uses a microscope to do his surgery as this is much more successful.

2. Follow all the post op instructions to the letter. As an Officer, you should be good at that lol!

3. During the surgery, when the doctor finds the open end of your tubes, have him collect viable sperm for freezing.

4. If you can't father a child with natural intercourse after your reversal then the next best thing is to use you frozen sperm for in vitro fertilization.

5. If the sperm harvested during the surgery turn out to not be viable, in many cases fresh sperm can be obtained with a needle directly from your testes (I know. That sounds painful to me too!)

Following these directions you should have the best possible chance of being a new Daddy possible

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Norman,

Please ignore the typo's as I'm holding my two month old grand daughter right now and typing is kinda tough at the moment. :)