Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My brother has MRSA Infection all Penicillins failed.

My brother has a bad MRSA Infection where all Penicillin's have failed leaving him with a parts per million in his blood very very dangerously high. We tired various other treatments and all have failed. He has since been on NO TREATMENT and today he had two fainting spells one about 20 minutes after the first one. The second one he fell straight forwards onto his face while he was walking. He looked like he was walking top heavy before he fell. He said it has never happened to him before and he never had dizziness before, shortness of breath or chest pain and doesn't know or understand what happened. He is 46 years old and has been fighting his MRSA Infection for some years now. Before his two fainting spells he complained of very high anxiety. Can you please advise me as to the best therapy for my brother i fear he has Endocarditis because all the factor's lead to this conclusion. Do you know of a CURE for MRSA? Please please advise ASAP!! Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

PSS He complained of tingling all over his body after the second fainting spell, thank you..

Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Customer:

hi

Anthony Bray MD : Your concern with regard to possible endocarditis may be evaluated for by checking three sequential blood cultures PLUS an echocardiogram of his heart.
Anthony Bray MD : is he being seen by an infectious disease specialist??
Customer:

No

Customer:

They tried all the penicillins to failure

Anthony Bray MD : MRSA is usually sensitive to Zyvox or Vancomycin...
Anthony Bray MD : Have these antibiotics been used??
Customer:

Sensitive?

Customer:

Yes all of them

Anthony Bray MD : What is the source of his infection(location)??
Anthony Bray MD : Sensitive meaning that the bacteria is usually successfully treated by these....
Customer:

He has break outs all over. He's had one Cut out on his stomach and one in his mouth. The last out break came out as spots all over his arms.

Customer:

It also breaks out on his face

Anthony Bray MD : I see--- it may be that his skin is colonized with MRSA which may lead to RECURRENT infections...
Customer:

he said his parts per million on his blood was like 2 million

Customer:

Its in him BAD!!!!

Customer:

stress brings it out

Customer:

He needs a CURE!!! BAD!!!

Customer:

Phenomenal Water?

Anthony Bray MD : He may benefit to clear the skin of the colonozation by using 1/2 cup of bleach in 2.5 inches deep tub of water --- would advise three baths in first week and once a week for several more weeks...
Customer:

ok....

Anthony Bray MD : The bacteria may hide in the nostrils and this may benefit from Rifampin orally ....
Customer:

ok..

Customer:

We just had a brother die form it three years ago..

Anthony Bray MD : application of an antibiotic to his nostrils may be of benefit in this regard if bacteria is sensitive to the antibiotic ( Bactroban)
Customer:

from

Customer:

ok

Anthony Bray MD : I would advise that he clean his house surfaces with a bleach solution as well...
Customer:

what about internally?

Customer:

ok

Anthony Bray MD : The MEDS Zyvox will usually treat MRSA( oral and IV forms-- but very expensive)
Anthony Bray MD : Thr IV med Vancomycin usually treats MRSA....
Customer:

usually but not with him? :(

Customer:

I'll ask him if they tried Zyvox?

Customer:

I know Vancomycin has been tried

Anthony Bray MD : even the cheap oral med SEPTRA is often effective against MRSA ( but it depends on the strain so cultures and sensitivity testing need to be done on each new infection)
Customer:

The doctors said they tried all & available

Customer:

7

Customer:

ok..

Anthony Bray MD : I see -- it is possible to have bacteria that is resistant to all antibiotics but I would advise that he is under the care if infectious disease specialist.
Customer:

Are there more then 7 available to treat MRSA?

Customer:

Where in ND is there one?

Anthony Bray MD : The resistance of bacteria usually gets worse with prolonged treatment....
Customer:

Yes but if it doesn't kill it what choice has one got?

Anthony Bray MD : You should be able to find ID specialist at largest nearby hospital.... Especially if hospital is connected to a medical school...
Customer:

In ND? The doctors here are pretty poor...

Anthony Bray MD : It may depend on the situation...
Customer:

Monetarily?

Anthony Bray MD : No not that....
Customer:

?

Anthony Bray MD : iIf you had a completely resistant infection of a bone in your foot for example then you may have to amputate....
Customer:

ok you amputate his entire body?

Customer:

He needs internal healing???

Anthony Bray MD : There is the possibility of treatment failure leading to fatality... Unfortunately this still occurs everyday ....
Customer:

Come on Doctor??? :(

Anthony Bray MD : No obviusly you do not amputate entire body but an abscess may require surgery....
Anthony Bray MD : different situations might call for surgery as part of the strategy....
Customer:

yes he has had this done already twice like i explained earlier

Customer:

on his stomach and in his mouth

Customer:

he has no more big absesses now....

Anthony Bray MD : that is what I meant by it depending on the situation ... Severity of infection, location of infection, chronic vs recurrent infection... All of these are factors that would affect treatment strategy....
Anthony Bray MD : I see....
Customer:

He had relief of it for about one year now it is Chronic.

Anthony Bray MD : Well I think main thing would be getting him to infectious disease specialist...cleaning skin to clear colonization as I mentioned would probably help( not to use on open wounds however)
Customer:

ok

Customer:

Do you believe in Phenomenal Water?

Anthony Bray MD : Hibiclens is a topical soap product that kills this bacteria( same is used for surgeons scrubbing for surgery) this is available over counter in pharmacy...
Customer:

nice..

Anthony Bray MD : I have not heard of "phenomenal water"....
Customer:

Ok let me get this straight...killing the surface infection can cure the inside infection?

Customer:

Its a Water with a missing molecule that scavenges the acid protection boundary of the MRSA takes a molecule then the body removes it by bodily watses.

Customer:

wastes

Anthony Bray MD : Well clearing the skin of its colonization ( we are routinely covered in staph and strep type germs but not infected--- this where the skin infections come from in the first place ) will HELP to prevent recurrent infections but this would not treat an active internal infection....
Anthony Bray MD : You need to plan to prevent next infection as well as treating the current one!!
Customer:

Acidic is bad i know and a Balanced PH is good especially to people with low resistance or MRSA infected correct?

Anthony Bray MD : most of the colonizing staph on the skin are not typically so resistant...
Customer:

I understand that logic..

Customer:

ok

Customer:

ok so clean the entire body, while taking with Penicillin???

Customer:

dang sorry....which?

Anthony Bray MD : The bodies pH is actually very tightly controlled by our body to very close to 7.40 despite what you eat or take in... This is vital to our survival....
Customer:

right but can a body not get too Acidic also?

Anthony Bray MD : No penicillins are not usually effective against MRSA. Zyvox/ Septra/ vancomycin more likely to treat MRSA....
Customer:

right i just say penicillin for say:

Anthony Bray MD : yes it can... This gets complicated.... Metabolic acidosis or respiratory acidosis conditions are possible....
Customer:

ty

Anthony Bray MD : You are very welcome!
Anthony Bray MD : i hope that this is helpful for him!
Customer:

How long is it a person can use one MRSA killer before it is considered useless?

Anthony Bray MD : let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
Customer:

im not done yet.. lol

Anthony Bray MD : OK!!
Customer:

i meant ty for acknowledging my question sorry..

Anthony Bray MD : It varies as to how long an antibiotic may remain effective. We have to repeat cultures periodically with difficult infections.
Anthony Bray MD : That is fine!
Customer:

right...he's had a blood culture done after each failure..

Customer:

or session

Customer:

it's truly crazy how this crap can not be killed from this man?

Anthony Bray MD : I see and these blood cultures are repeatedly positive for MRSA???
Customer:

yes...

Customer:

except for the one remission he had years ago when the Hospital first infected him..

Anthony Bray MD : I see --- YIKES--- it is very dangerous situation then....
Customer:

It is ...

Anthony Bray MD : Endocarditis would be a very real concern....
Customer:

I know i studied every perspective from the bottom to the top..

Customer:

About the tingling?

Anthony Bray MD : What tingling??
Customer:

In my note there i pointed out that afterwards he said his whole body was tingly all over..

Customer:

Each fainting spell lasted about 5 seconds or so..

Anthony Bray MD : Oh OK --- sorry I missed that earlier--- it could have been caused by hyperventilation... Was this transient--did it clear up after he regained conciousness??
Anthony Bray MD : Is it an ongoing problem??
Customer:

The first time he got up not knowing what happened. This is when the tingling occured

Customer:

the second time he just walk like he was head lob-sided and just fell fall on his face out..

Anthony Bray MD : Does he have any history of panic attacks?
Customer:

Yes...

Customer:

In my note see where it says that? lol

Customer:

No he has never had a fainting spell before in his life

Anthony Bray MD : I've seen panic attacks cause hyperventilation to the point a patient passes out. This may cause tingling sensation. The rapid breathing blows off CO 2 and this causes respiratory alkalosis ( ph goes up) and this will cause tingling sensation....
Anthony Bray MD : This type of tingling would go away as the breathing returned to normal...
Customer:

yes but he wasn't hyperventilating this is what has me confused

Anthony Bray MD : If an ongoing symptom then there are several possible causes....
Customer:

ok..

Anthony Bray MD : Any seizure activity as far as you know??
Anthony Bray MD : but the tingling was just temporary, right??
Customer:

He had his arms both up and it looked like a seizure but for two seconds .. yes..

Customer:

yes tingling susided

Customer:

geez lol subsided

Customer:

I understand that a faint can look like a small seizure right?

Anthony Bray MD : I see... Well if the tingling went away I would not worry about it too much at this point--- not likely to be a problem now for which there may be definite answer... If an ongoing problem then source should be sought... Any test now would probably be normal with regard to his tingling sensation...
Customer:

ok..

Anthony Bray MD : that is right... It can be hard to tell....
Customer:

confusing to say the least but the real concern is to rid his body of this deadly little bas____ excuse the english

Customer:

Before i know he was doing the bleach wash when taking meds....was this a mistake?

Customer:

NOT

Anthony Bray MD : A sleep deprived EEG should be part of work up with 2 unexplained faints.... Holter monitor to check heart' s rhythm ovrr24 hours too...
Customer:

ok..

Anthony Bray MD : How do you mean he was doing the bleach wash WHEN he was taking MEDS??
Customer:

Forgot to ask him if he had a rapid heart beat but he had no sweating i mean it happened in the span of like 3 minutes total.

Customer:

Im getting tired can't type...lol I meant he wasn't advised to do the skin cleanse while on the meds.

Anthony Bray MD : Right well a faint due to heart arrhythmia may also be due to abnormal long pause... Different rhythms can potentially cause faint...
Anthony Bray MD : it could have been due to low blood pressure...
Anthony Bray MD : Vaso-vagal reaction due to shock, pain or nausea is
Customer:

he told me when i went to check his blood pressure that he knew he had good blood pressure..

Anthony Bray MD : most common cause of faints...
Anthony Bray MD : it is hard to tell from that -- it may drop suddenly--- he may not know...
Customer:

he had to reason to be shocked he is in no pain nor was he nauseated, just complained of being stressed out and in a state of high anxiety..

Anthony Bray MD : if he had incontinence then seizure moves up toward top if the list as cause...
Customer:

ok...

Anthony Bray MD : It may have been vaso- vagal likely then... Panic attack with hyperventilation could have been a cause... Other causes would still be possible....
Customer:

ok so what do we watch out for specifically?

Anthony Bray MD : well I agree that the infection and the positive blood cultures are of paramount concern....
Customer:

and with him having such a high per million of Mrsa?

Anthony Bray MD : You are right to be concerned with the potential risk of endocarditis...
Customer:

ok..

Customer:

ty I try..

Anthony Bray MD : work up of the faints should be done as well I think but this work up would be secondary to getting infection treated!!!
Customer:

exactly

Customer:

Any NEW treatments out there?

Anthony Bray MD : Watch him for fever, rapid heart rate, low blood pressure as these could be signs of sepsis and septic shock...
Anthony Bray MD : also watch for confusion....
Customer:

Blood poisoning..

Customer:

ok..

Anthony Bray MD : severe symptoms of this nature-- call 911. !!!!
Customer:

over 102

Anthony Bray MD : Right blood poisoning...
Customer:

confusion i get that too

Customer:

blurred vision pain in arms chest etc..

Anthony Bray MD : normal temp is 98.6 plus or minus 1.3 degrees but especially greater than 102 would be very concerning... Especially if resistant to treatment with Advil/ Tylenol ...
Customer:

ok..

Customer:

well alright i think we've covered all the possible bases up to this point so I'll let you off the hook so to speak...lol And ty vm..

Anthony Bray MD : yes chest pain would be VERY concerning.... Visual symptoms could be possible but not most typical....
Customer:

ok..

Anthony Bray MD : You are very welcome!!
Anthony Bray MD : good luck to your brother I hope that he does well and gets over this!!
Customer:

I'm just concerned the MRSA's progression has progressed to Endocarditis...How long does this nasty funk take to reach this point?

Customer:

ok last q i promise above>

Anthony Bray MD : It varies but based on the history of so many positive blood cultures over so long a period of time it would be a high risk at this point I fear.....
Customer:

i know ty

Anthony Bray MD : if my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback! Thank you and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer:

tyvm

Anthony Bray MD : You are quite welcome!! Take care!!
Customer:

you 2

Anthony Bray MD : thanks! Good night !
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.