Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

My 14 yr old son suffered severe trauma to his upper right

My 14 yr old son suffered severe trauma to his upper right foot 5 wks ago - he caught the upper part of his foot & toes on the solid wood post on his bed.He has had an xray and a bone & CT scan done which have showed soft tissue damage but no fracture. We have been icing, resting, elevating his foot & he has been on anti inflammatory tablets. Up until the last few days he's found walking very painful & hasn't been able to wear a shoe -  he has been wearing a protective boot.  Although the swelling and bruising is finally going down - his 2nd & 3rd toes are still causing him a lot of pain especially around the base of the toes where they join the foot. They are still very tender to touch and he finds walking upstairs extremely painful. He has been under a physio for the last 3 wks but he has now said that there is nothing he can really do anymore and we should seek a specialists opinion - any thoughts?

Good Morning. I am online and available to help you. Thank you for your patience.

I agree with the physio. While it is possible that his continued pain is just part of the healing process, he might have undiagnosed damage to tendons or ligaments that need a specialists attention.

I would suggest consulting with a podiatrist or an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in feet.

You sure don't want your son to have lifelong issues with his foot if it can be prevented.

As a father of 5 myself, that is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS