Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD

Im a 45 yr old healthy male with low sex drive. Non drinker,

I'm a 45 yr old healthy male with low sex drive. Non drinker, non smoker. How long can I take 25 mg per day of clomid safely for. Should it be cycled.... Tapered off in dosage? Will it raise my testosterone and libido?

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Clomid (clomiphene citrate is a drug which stimulates the pituitary gland to release the hormones FSH and to some extent LH. These hormones stimulate the production of testosterone (as well as sperm production) from the testes. The high testosterone levels will ause the libido to increase.

Dosage regimes of clomid vary. Clomid can be prescribed as 25 mg daily for 6 months. In some men, it is also prescribed as 25 mg thrice a week for 6 months - the testosterone level needs to be assessed every 3 months.

While Clomid can be cycled ( 25 mg daily for 3 weeks, stop for 1 week, and then another 3 weeks), it can also be taken daily. You will need to stop after 6 months and then get the testosterone assessed after 3 months. Depending on the level, your doctor may prescribe Clomid further or put you on androgens.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.. It is my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me by clicking on OK Service or above - it is only the way I get credit for helping you. Leaving a Bonus will be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you doctor. I was also wondering if the testosterone levels go back down after you stop taking Clomid and are there any permanent gains. Also I was wondering if you know about the effectiveness of an herb called tongat Ali to raise testosterone in men and if it can be taken safely with clomid, and if so at what dosage?

I am afraid that the testosterone levels do go down after the Clomid is stopped. In some men, it goes down to the former level, in a few men, it can remain at a level higher than the former level.

Tongkat Ali has been proved to be quite effective in increasing testosterone levels in many men. But it has not been scientifically researched and i would not advise you to take it along with Clomid. You can try taking them separately to see which has the better effect. You should not take Tongkat Ali if you have prostate cancer, diabetes mellitus, heart disease, kidney disease, liver disease, or sleep apnea.

The dose of Tongkat Ali is 1,000 to 1,500 mg per day. It should be taken on a cycle of 6 days on, followed by 3 days off or on-cycle of 10 days, followed by 5 days off.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks alot Doctor for your help and expertise. Also if you have any knowledge of a medication called dapovar and it's effectiveness to prevent premature ejaculation, I'd appreciate your perspective on that as well.
Dapovar contains the drug Dapoxetine, whihc is an SSRI - Selective Serotonin Reuptake. It is a chemical that controls the serotonin levels in the body. Since serotonin helps to regulate circulation and activity in the penis, Dapovar is believed to be quite effective in PE.