karel sleis
karel sleis, respiratory therapist
Experience:  over 20 years as a certified respiratory therapist in 1994

my sister has acities, finally the doc discovered. She has

my sister has acities, finally the doc discovered. She has gotten Ct SCAN AND all related blood tests but nothing show. Could this merely caused by stress>

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

No. Acites is not caused by stress.

RickMD :

The most common reason for ascites is significant liver disease. If this were the case with your sister I would have expected her blood tests to show up as abnorma.

Doc Rick,

the bllod test does not show that.

blood test does not show that according to the three doctors

but they said that they would do a biospy on the liver. Through the blood test and CT scan, they didt see any problem on the liver. That strange.

They also did cardiology test, and all her organs were scan.

How old is your sister?

Does she have any medical problems or take any medication?

How tall is she and how much does she weigh?

Have her doctors come up with any reason for her ascites up to this point?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My Sister is 53 year old. She has all these years very health conscious. Her height is 148cm and she is not fat like 50KG.

For 5 days, the docs have done colonscopy and endoscopy, and all the necessary test on the heart, didnt find any heart related problem. All CT Scan and blood test didnt show anything bad. They have drained those fluid from her abdomen and those fluid also didnt show any bacteria infection.

The only thing so far found was Ployri only.

Do you think she should get a liver biospy? Would that be the liver damange does not show from CT scan and blood test ?

Mei Ching,

Yes. I think she should have the liver biopsy as it is the best way to figure out what is going on with her liver...even better then blood tests and the CT scan.

The biopsy will show the exact microscopic anatomy of the liver cells themselves and this is very sensitive for "silent" damage that can't otherwise be seen.

Does this make sense?

Mei Ching,

Doing a liver biopsy makes perfect sense to me and sounds like a very good next step.

While a liver problem is the most likely cause of her ascites, it is possible that it could be from other issues like heart problems (CHF), kidney failure or even salt retention, some forms of cancer or problems with her pancreas.

As you can see, the workup of your sisters ascites can be complex and involved more then just some blood tests and cat scan....although these tests can help to make the diagnosis.

So. What is the take home message? It sounds like your sister is getting quality care and, with time, her doctors will find the underlying cause of her ascites. Once this is known the proper treatment can be started and she, hopefully, will start to feel better soon.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Acites is fluid build up in the abdomen, could be caused by infection, chirossis of the liver, The fluid must be drained or the physician would put her medication. This is serious and in no way caused by stress.
karel sleis, respiratory therapist
Experience: over 20 years as a certified respiratory therapist in 1994