Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

What could be the cause for me to feel sick most of the time?

What could be the cause for me to feel sick most of the time? I do not get sick but sometimes it is worst than others. If you plan a trip or plan to do something it is worse. After you get where you are going you get to feeling better.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

In what way do you feel sick? Is it an upset stomach? Weakness? dizziness? Problems breathing? Diarrhea? Etc?

How long has this been going on for?

Do you take any medication or have any medical problems?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You have a feeling that you could get sick. You can get this feeling any time. It is worse if you have planned something that you are going to do. There is no weakness feeling, but it is sometimes can cause diarrhea. No dizziness. If you take anything for diarrhea it does not do any good. On most occasions I just feel a little sick and just try to forget it and it does not cause any problems. If you are planning to do something important it is worse and it feels that you are close to getting sick but you don't. I have only got sick once since I have had this problem but I took pepto bismo and tried to feel better but that didn't work. When I feel this way I can still eat and do about anything but I still feel a little sick. This has been going on for about 8 months. I have had a colonostomy and endoscopy but did not have any bad problems. Then I had my gall bladder removed and it got worse. I take 5mg. of Lisinopril once a day, 1- 81 mg. asprin a day, and 1- 30 mg. Lansoprazole a day along with a vitamin and 2 fish oil softgels a day. I stopped taking the Lansoprazole for almost two weeks but it did not do any good. I was wondering if it might be a problem with nerves because over the counter diarrhea medication does not affect it.

Ronnie,

I think you have hit the problem right on the head in your post: It sounds like a problem with nerves/anxiety to me too.

Many things can cause these nervous problems but, I will have to say that travel, plans for a special event or even just a get together can often trigger it.

The good news is that there are many medications available to help with this type of feelings, although it sometimes takes a few tries to find the ones that work best for any particular patient.

I suggest you start to keep a diary of times when you find yourself feeling sick like this, exactly how you are feeling and what you think may be going on at the time to bring on these feelings. Then, when you have a few of these episodes documented, make an appointment with your primary care MD, sit down and review these notes with her.

In this way a more accurate diagnosis of the underlying cause for your condition can be quickly made and a medicine dispensed that should help.

There is no need for you to continue to suffer like this -- 8 months is long enough :(

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Have a good weekend and I hope you feel better soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I talked to my doctor about the nerve problems and he has tried Paroxetine (20mg.) and I had a lot of problems with fast heart rate, bad thoughts, panic attacks. I also had feelings of shaking. He had me to cut the pill in half and try that. At one time I was feeling good and very happy most of the time but he insisted that I go back to the whole tablet. I then started to wake up with rapid heartbeat which did not want to slow down for a long time. It also caused me to have dreams which cuased me suddenly to wake up and have rapid heartbeat. All of my problems with nerves comes at night.I did not have any problems during the day. He told me to quit taking them and then had me to try Sertraline (25mg.) and I really had problems with this medication at night again with rapid heartbeat. He told me to quit taking the medication. He then had my gall bladder removed which hasn't helped. I have to go back to see him in a couple of weeks. He seems to try something and when it does not work he waits 2 or 3 months to see you again. I call this kicking the can down the road but I am the one who has to suffer. I like to travel to other countries but have done it because of this problem. I have also had a problem about not being able to sleep at night. Lately I have slept better and the shaking has almost stopped but the last few nights it seems to be getting a little worse.

Ronnie,

I'm sorry that your doctor is taking his time trying to get to the root of your problem. I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC