Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Is it better to miss taking a Digoxin tablet or take an extra

Is it better to miss taking a Digoxin tablet or take an extra if you're not sure if you took it?
There are a couple of options:

If you know the date that you filled your prescription (or started to take this prescription) you could count the number of pills remaining in the bottle to determine if you had in fact taken this pill.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The pill was on my chairside table and I take it at a certain time. However when it was time to take the pill it wasn't there. I don't know if it got knocked off or if I mistakenly took it earlier that it was due.

How long have you been taking this medication?

Why are you taking this medications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've been taking the medication for approximately 6 months for A-fib. I also take Pradaxa and Metaprolol Tartrate twice a day. The digoxin is taken once, in the evening.

Since an elevated level of digoxin generally is associated a higher risk of side effects that a level that is too low, I believe most physicians would suggest NOT taking an extra dose.